What's new

DVD Playback help!

I recently bought a new computer with a Lite-on 16x DVD / CD-R combo drive, but i am having trouble getting DVD's to play. Deus Ex : Invisible War plays the opening movie very slow / choppy, and all my DVD movies are recognized but won't play. I've installed the latest drivers for my video card and direct x. Any ideas?

System Specs
--------------
XP 2400+
Hyper-X 512 Ram
GeForce 4 Ti 4200
Lite-On 16x DVD/CD-R

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Its possible the drive is set on PIO read mode (instead of Ultra DMA what it should be) making the CPU do all the file reading

If you're using windows XP: go to control panel (switch to classic view there) then double click System, go to the hardware tab then click device manager, Find IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, you'll find primary and secondary ide channels.

Double click primary then a new window pops up, look in the advanced settings tab, if you see anything on PIO mode then it will cause slowness in reading files for that device, do the same for the secondary IDE.

If you see nothing in PIO mode then you do not have this problem.

Theres only 2 solutions to the above problem (If thats what you got):
Find out what chipset your motherboard has, use your pc manaul if you have it handy, chances are its either VIA or SiS or Nvidia NForce, go to their website and find IDE Chipset drivers.

If that fails to work find out the model number of the lite on drive under DVD/CDroms in device manager, and go to lite-on's site and see if there is firmware for it. (This method is slightly more dangerous so read instructions for it carefully)

Hope that helps.

Eagle

aka Alshain
PIO Mode would not cause his movies not to play. PIO Mode works with that drive, it just isnt the best choice. I have seen more Lite-On drives do stuff like this than I can count on 4 hands. Specifically, I'm not sure what would cause this problem. It could indeed be firmware. I know it isnt the read mode. Also check and make sure windows is updated to its fullest.

As for deus X, is that a DVD? I didn't know they sold those as DVD's. But if they do, it was a slow and choppy game to begin with on my 1.6 Ghz PC with a GF3. Turn the graphic settings down a little and see what happens.

-Shadow-

Banned
Eagle said:
As for deus X, is that a DVD? I didn't know they sold those as DVD's.

The Original US version isn't on DVD , but the European versions are . They came to the idea to make DVD-versions when they turned on the european market .

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
He never said they didn't play, he said they were running slow. believe me PIO mode COULD be the cause, ever tried to run cdcheck with a drive set to PIO transfer? it almost cripples your PC.