What's new

duuuude, what should i do

OP
sheik124

sheik124

Emutalk Member
Clements said:
Sounds good.

I wouldn't worry about DDR2 just yet. All DDR2 is, is that it allows for the advancement of DDR technology by allowing faster speeds, but isn't in itself faster. For example, DDR-400 is the same speed as DDR2-400, but DDR2 allows for faster speeds that wouldn't be feasible on DDR1. I've probably phrased this wrong, but read more about it here:

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.html?i=1977
nah you didn phrase it wrong, you just beat me to editing my post and adding that, i check anandtech every 2 seconds and read that article, which is why i said i dun give a monkeys uncle for ddr2
its a M-ATX case, the most PSU i can get is 250W, and i can't get my old one out, or my optical drives (stupid HP 520c)

Alchy

sheik124 said:
the most PSU i can get is 250W, and i can't get my old one out, or my optical drives (stupid HP 520c)
You'd better drill that PSU out, because 250W wouldn't power a system half your spec.

OP
sheik124

sheik124

Emutalk Member
Alchy said:
You'd better drill that PSU out, because 250W wouldn't power a system half your spec.
you don't get what i am saying do you, i don't mean the most i can get out of ma PSU, i mean the most powerful PSU i can get, and 250W should hold up well

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
All I can say is if your PC is unstable, you may be required to underclock your processor down to 1050 mhz by underclocking the FSB to 100 mhz.

OP
sheik124

sheik124

Emutalk Member
ok, when my new stuff arrives, i was planning on oc'ing the fsb to 200, so i'd have a 3200+ :), can i use the supplied cooler, and if not, anyone who was tried this or even currently doing this got any good recommendations? i'd get the CoolerMaster Jet thing cus i currently have a CM Cooler keeping my current CPU at 41 C at full load and its 4600 RPM most of the time and i cannot even hear it, but i think the jet is a bit too big for my case, i also have this weird-ass duct thing connected to where my case fan is at, kinda moving the air over the CPU, my case is open at the moment, gosh i love my new Antec Pro Series Double-Ball Bearing Case Fan, at 2600 RPM its quiter than my crappy old Sensaflow 1400 RPM thingy that came with this HP shit

EDIT: my psu is fine, i defragged, deleted a bunch of spyware, uninstalled alot of crap, and deleted useless files and now my PC is much more stable

OP
sheik124

sheik124

Emutalk Member
k, i have been looking around and realized that stock cooler isn't enuf 4 2500 @ 3200, so i wanna know some opinions on these various cpu coolers
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-108&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-110-007A&depa=0
i really like that second one, just need a second opinion. also, is the artic silver ceramique stuff permenantly adhesive? and would it be better to get an Enermax 250W PSU or some brand 320W PSU (i think its called A*insert lightning bolt*Power)

linemu

sheik124 said:
ok, when my new stuff arrives, i was planning on oc'ing the fsb to 200, so i'd have a 3200+ :), can i use the supplied cooler, and if not, anyone who was tried this or even currently doing this got any good recommendations? i'd get the CoolerMaster Jet thing cus i currently have a CM Cooler keeping my current CPU at 41 C at full load and its 4600 RPM most of the time and i cannot even hear it, but i think the jet is a bit too big for my case, i also have this weird-ass duct thing connected to where my case fan is at, kinda moving the air over the CPU, my case is open at the moment, gosh i love my new Antec Pro Series Double-Ball Bearing Case Fan, at 2600 RPM its quiter than my crappy old Sensaflow 1400 RPM thingy that came with this HP shit

EDIT: my psu is fine, i defragged, deleted a bunch of spyware, uninstalled alot of crap, and deleted useless files and now my PC is much more stable

I learned that the supplied cooler wasn't good enough the hard way.... my AMD XP 1900+ now overheats constantly, rendering it useless. Now I need to get a new fan. :(

Alchy

sheik124 said:
you don't get what i am saying do you, i don't mean the most i can get out of ma PSU, i mean the most powerful PSU i can get, and 250W should hold up well
No dude I don't get what you're saying, that sentence doesn't make much sense. But I got that last bit "250W should hold up well" and if you're talking about a 2500XP system, you're seriously mistaken. CPU+VGA = ~90 + ~30 at a rough measure, add in mobo+HDD+fans+CDR etc, then factor in the ~70% Watt efficiency that most cheap built-in PSUs have. Anything less than 350W is taking a big risk of instability. This isn't an opinion, it's a fact: I've dealt with it too many times.

You asked for suggestions for a fansink, go for the Zalman flower. Good cooling, large, quiet fan. Don't even think of using the stock cooler, especially if you want to OC. Don't use any thermal epoxy (far too permanent), go for Arctic Silver 3.

OP
sheik124

sheik124

Emutalk Member
hmm, i emailed the seller of the 320W a question, and i got a reply, i told him my specs etc, his advice: get a fullsize case, i guess i can use that motherboard for the M-ATX system i am making for a friend, and save the ram for extras once i buy the new case, now i have to leave the new stuff aside, but i may just snap and put the GFX card in this current rig :)
Alchy said:
Don't use any thermal epoxy (far too permanent), go for Arctic Silver 3.
well i asked about the Arctic Silver Ceramique and AFAIK its not epoxy (that means its rather gluelike and extremely sticky right?), just a simple thermal grease for starters
and alchy, what about that vantec fan i linked to, the zalman's better?
EDIT: ignore that last question, the Vantec uses TMD and from my experience i know never to touch anything that isn't Ball Bearing or 2x Ball Bearing
EDIT: One Moo' Thing! If I use PC-3200 in a PC with a 333mhz FSB (the rig i am building for a friend) and is not overclocket will it automatically downspeed to 333mhz or will it not work?
ED...ah the hell with it, i just realized that i am getting a new case, why don't i just get the Jet7 or whatever its called, its cool looking and it does its job (i think i may go down in history as the most edits in one post)

Last edited:

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
sheik124 said:
well i asked about the Arctic Silver Ceramique and AFAIK its not epoxy (that means its rather gluelike and extremely sticky right?), just a simple thermal grease for starters
epoxy means a molecule with a 3 membered ring, one of which is oxygen, and the other two are carbons, usually part of a longer string of carbon bonds. react it with a nucleophile and form a new bond (while breaking the ring)! hehe :)

OP
sheik124

sheik124

Emutalk Member
/me pats zalbee for taking physics
well, i have read great stuff about both Antec's and Enermax's power supplies, and i have heard about waaaaay to many antecs literally exploding (about 10/16, newegg reviews) and i don't want my precious equipment getting damaged, so now its down to these (additional) components
Zalman CPU Cooler (this thing weighs 445g but the recommended max for SocketA is 300g, should i be worried?) also, is this the flower you were talking bout cus there is like 4 or 5 diff zalman flowers, i like this one most
Kingwin Case
A7N8X-Deluxe E
Enermax PFC PSU
Arctic Silver: i have 2 options, ceramique or as5

if anyone could give me advice/tips before 10:30PM eastern 3-4 days from now i'd aprreciate it

Alchy

I did write out a long reply to your hardware questions, but the fucking comp lab PC crashed out on me.

Fansink: No, I'd go for the Zalman with the separate fan and heatsink. This reduces noise and heatsink slippage. The weight is not an issue unless you're frequently moving your PC, travelling in a car or something.

The Enermax PSU looks perfect for your needs.

Thermal grease: gor For AS5. I'm not sure what the ceramique shit is, but I doubt it's got as good heat transfer as a silver-based compound.

If I use PC-3200 in a PC with a 333mhz FSB (the rig i am building for a friend) and is not overclocket will it automatically downspeed to 333mhz or will it not work?
Should downspeed without problems.

OP
sheik124

sheik124

Emutalk Member
Alchy said:
Fansink: No, I'd go for the Zalman with the separate fan and heatsink. This reduces noise and heatsink slippage. The weight is not an issue unless you're frequently moving your PC, travelling in a car or something.
So which one should I get?
35-118-102-05.JPG

35-118-101-05.JPG

35-118-108-04.JPG

35-118-109-04.JPG

that last one is real heavy, and i am ordering the rest of my parts along with another pc i am making for my dad's friend, so if i could get an answer soon i'd be a happy man, well, teenager, whatever

Alchy

My personal recomendation is for the first one. It's nearly silent, and the heat transfer is great. I ran my 2200XP with the fan at the lowest setting and my CPU temp never rose much above 45C. You also don't have to do the irritating "open the case and wiggle the fansink" (because of rising temperatures), which comes from the heatsink being vibrated by the fan and shifting around. Having the fan and the heatsink separated is just a logical move.

One more thing: if the other fansink is considerably heavier than the one I'm suggesting, I would start to get a little concerned about the weight, especially if you're getting an Athlon (with an exposed and easily cracked CPU die). If it's heavier it must be bigger too... check for mobo compatibility, some mobos have exposed capacitors etc which may get in the way of a large heatsink.

OP
sheik124

sheik124

Emutalk Member
the last one is over double the weight limit so i did not even consider it due to its weight, the Aluminum Copper combo of the last one (the third one i mentioned) is my favorite because the fan is built into the heatsink and it looks neat, and everyone at newegg who gave this a review and was OC'ing a 2500+ said it was great

Alchy

I've been reading around, the performance looks good on it. You need to go check whether your mobo will support it though:

Xtremetech said:
Installation was a major hassle. Having an AMD setup, I had to remove the motherboard from the case and mount two brackets before I could install the heatsink. Secondly, the motherboard I tested the CNPS7000A-AlCu on, the EPoX 8RDA, was in the 'had to be cut' category. I am not going to dock Zalman for this problem because it is listed on their list as having to be modified. I did not want to cut the clip, so I forced it onto the motherboard without doing so. In order to do this, I had to bend the capacitors in ways they should never be bent. I also scraped some insulation off of a capacitor. Basically, what I am trying to get at here is the point that you should not try to do what I did. I had ulterior motives to keeping the clip intact, so I avoided cutting.
http://www.xtremetek.com/reviews/index.php?id=57&page=1

OP
sheik124

sheik124

Emutalk Member
i checked about my mobo before even asking you guys :) the A7N8X-E Deluxe is compatible and requires some cutting but who cares, its just a cut, not like its gonna waste my time and i think cutting it is worth having a nice HSF to keep my sweet PC nice and cool