What's new

Dumping Text?

O

overkill

ok, first I'd like to say that I'm no emulation n00b. I'm not the 1337 hacker I'd like to be, so here's my question. What's the best way to go about dumping the text from a N64 rom?

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
overkill said:
ok, first I'd like to say that I'm no emulation n00b. I'm not the 1337 hacker I'd like to be, so here's my question. What's the best way to go about dumping the text from a N64 rom?
Just open it with a hex editor (like Hexworkshop) and look for it AND (the big one) hope it isn't encoded. That's the only thing I can say, another way I din't know.

TheBench

Best way is to load the game and save the RAM. You'll get most of the text right there if you search, and it will not be compressed.

OP
O

overkill

OK, I'm working on dumping the text from Paper Mario. I've figured out what code stands for what text and even what specifies a new line, a new speech bubble, and even some of the formatting. Now I just need a hex editor capable of cropping the file and replacing all of the characters at once. If not, I'll just replace them individually, whatever. Any suggestions?

OP
O

overkill

Forget I asked. I found a better hex editor.