What's new

Dumping Models

Tim.

Worker of the Harvest
First off, I apologize for my ignorance, however this is my first time dealing with emulation. If I make mistakes anywhere, please inform me. Alright, onto my problem. I have read posts here and there and believe I understand this: You can dump the textures used by a game that are rendered on the screen. I downloaded a pluggin I found here and bang, it works. I get tons of nice and tiny 64x64 textures and the like. Quite below par these days, but it’s n64, who cares?

What I now want to know is - is it possible to dump 3d models that are rendered on the screen? Specifically I would like to dump the models found in the Evangelion Japanese game. I have extensive knowledge of 3dsMax, and would like to import those models into it. Along with this, I would like to know if it is possible to reimport the models back into the game. Meaning I can enhance not only the textures to high-rez, but also the model detail. I am unable to find any clear conclusion on this matter after searching. I would greatly appreciate any information regarding these issues.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
AFAIK, currently there is no working method of extracting actual models, let alone inserting models back into the game.

OP
T

Tim.

Worker of the Harvest
Hmm, well I just found an option in Nemu that allows you to 'Export VRML' the result of which is a file "output.wrl" That file contains all the models rendered on the screen when the feature was turned on. I did this and was able to import the scene into 3dsMax5.1 without a hitch. The only problem now is a lack of UVMap. I see that tr64 ogl supposedly had VRML features, but was then removed because of the lack of UVMaps. In the most recent version of tr64 ogl the feature is there. I can't get that pluggin to work - however does that mean that now UVMaps are exported properly?

OP
T

Tim.

Worker of the Harvest
Thanks, it looks like that is exactly what I need. However, I too have this problem:

http://www.emutalk.net/208037-post13.html

In response to that, Lemmy made this comment:
Lemmy said:
It requires a pixel shaders cart, so you probably won't be able to use it, sorry.
However he never specified exactly what this 'Pixel Shaders Cart' is. Hardware? Software? I assume its part of the video card. Maybe even a typo for 'Card'?

EDIT: I was able to get an associate to make the exports for me - However I would still like an answer to my previous question. Thanks loads for the help and sorry I did not come across that page durring the search.

Last edited:
OP
T

Tim.

Worker of the Harvest
Alright, seems my 4 year old PC and GFX card simply aren’t up to the challenge. Hehe, at least I can use my trusty 3dsmax. Thanks for the help, I can at least make some nice retro wallpapers now.

Last edited: