What's new

Dual processors being utilized?

Kahenraz

My new 1337 server is a dual pIII blah blah blah and runs emus beautifully and laglessly. Because my past experience tells me that programs require special coding to utilize multiple cpus, and no such information regarding such have I seen, I'm assuming that none of the emus are taking advantage of my dual system are are running purely off of the main cpu. Am I correct?

This brings up the interesting topic about a single or dual bios :happy:. My system has a single bios. This really makes me wonder because I'm not sure if, having a single bios, the utilization is done automatically, but through the main cpu pipeline... and I'll stop right there. Heh.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
DeLeTeBR said:
Actualy, this is work for your OS and not for a program like a emulator.

Wrong.

If an OS supports MP, individual programmes will still only use one processor at a time, unless they are coded to use multiple simultaneous threads.

Likewise even if an OS doesn't support MP, an app CAN use your second processor - Quake3, for example, can run multithreaded even on XP Home which specifically does not support multiprocessor other than P4 HyperThreading.

OP
Kahenraz

Kahenraz

Well in light of this source of brilliance, I hope that one of the coders for emus still active read this and will ponder (deeply) the idea about adding the code to support this.

I'll send flowers :flowers: :flowers:

Kaoss626

having dual P3 1000 @ 1100 proccessors on one of my machines I can attest to......

for pj64 yes and no in my opinion.

yes both processors will be utilized. yes things run smoother (no lag in zelda: ooc when I pull up the menu and no I'm not doing anything special)

if it were only uni processor all the load would go on one chip and not be distributed on both.

but.....

when pj64 is the only load windows only loads both processors up to a maximum of 50%. A true SMP compliant program (photoshop, dnetc, 3dstudioMax, SiSoft Sandra) will load both processors to 100%. I would post some screen shots to show this but I dont have any web hosting right now.

so......

it would seem that pj64 utiilizes load ballenceing but does not have complete SMP compliance. To me it would appear that it sees one P3 and only creates one P3 worth of load. This load is then load ballenced equally across my two processors.

PS dual BIOS is in case you wax one of your bioses you can recover it and still have a bootable machine with one dead. Dual BIOS and dual procsessor (SMP or symetric multiprocessor in x86 archetecture) are completely unrelated

Last edited:

Kaoss626

screen shot of running a distributed computing client that supports full load on both processors. note this is one program, that starts multiple threads so it is true SMP.

OP
Kahenraz

Kahenraz

How interesting... I never thought of using the performance viewer for checking to see if it used both processors.

Nemu seems to have the same effect too.

Last edited:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
The OS can automatically divide single threads between two processors, BUT a single thread can never exceed 100% shared processing; you have to have at least two threads in order to max out two CPU's.

Kaoss626

Tag,

true, PJ64 runs 1 thread, but it is capable of load sharing rather than sticking to one specific processor.