What's new

Dual Core Suggestions

LexManos

Well just installed Project64, loaded up Zelda, and hit a problem. It runs slowly, (playable in most areas, but like, 80% speed)

I have a Intel Pentium Dual 1.73 core laptop, which if I can get Project64 to use both cores, it should work more then fine.

Or any suggestions on how to optimize for a 1.73ghz proc.

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
Superiority complex maybe? Just ignore it. On a more informative note, PJ64 is not optimized for multiple processing cores. However, that CPU should be more than adequate for PJ64, so...
  1. What are the rest of your system specs?
  2. Are you using the default plugins? (If not, which ones are you using?)
  3. Are there any other processes hogging the CPU?

P

Pokemaniacs

From my own experience, I find N64 emu doesn't use much CPU but more GPU.
When I run Zelda game on PJ64, it takes up < 20% CPU most of the time while 1964 uses < 10% most of the time.

I am using 2.53Ghz Core 2 duo CPU and it is running the game very fast and well. If you don't have good graphics card, it may be a problem.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Superiority complex maybe? Just ignore it. On a more informative note, PJ64 is not optimized for multiple processing cores. However, that CPU should be more than adequate for PJ64, so...
  1. What are the rest of your system specs?
  2. Are you using the default plugins? (If not, which ones are you using?)
  3. Are there any other processes hogging the CPU?

Fear of mental contamination actually.

OP
L

LexManos

Trust me, he may think it but hes not superior to me ;) (Not saying i'm better then him, just hes severely underestimating me)

Anyways, it's not the best of laptops:
Win 7 Ult x64
Intel Pentium Dual Core CPU T2370 @ 1.73GHz/1.73GHz
2.00GB DDR2 RAM
Mobile Intel 965 Express Graphics
Not really sure anything else would affect it. So meh.

No, I'm using:
Rice's Video Plugin 6.1.1 beta 10 800x600x32@60 (Would like to load hi-def retextures if I can get this thing running faster)
And N-Rage's Direct-Input8 v2 1.82
The rest are default.

And no, highest resource hog I have running is pidgin.

Anyways was able to speed it up a bit after a bit of fiddling. Still a resource hog but i'm blaming that on my gfx 'card'
And now running into other gfx issues, improperly culling, random blackouts, etc.

Last edited:
P

Pokemaniacs

Rice's Video Plugin 6.1.1 beta 10 is not the best at the moment. I would suggest using latest glide64 or jabo D3D8 v1.6 which may solve some of your gfx issues.

OP
L

LexManos

I assure you. I am.
Well Sir, I assure you you are not. You may have the upper hand in this particular field. But you can be assured that is solely due to seniority. I have not, nor will I, spend much time on this scene.

Anyways, thanks everyone sans squall, I'll look into those other plugins and see whats what.
I finally broke down and decided I'd build my own controller adapter from scratch, so that will keep me busy for the next few days. Playing OOT with a PS2 controller just doesn't feel right.