What's new

dos commands help

Buck_Bucholz

i like to put holes in my face
ok i have aquired a used pc from a friend for free, turn it on its fucked of course...so from what i can tell is that its running windows 95 and its corrupted...and wont load, so i have windows 98 so i use my windows 98 boot disk and try to install windows 98...yeah i know os already installed...so i get that message....so heres the prob. with my 98 boot disk i can get the cd rom working so i can install, but my windows 95 upgrade wont work, and my 98 wont either, and this thing dosnt have enough juice for xp anyway so i wont even try....so my question is what dos prompts would i use for formating C: and uninstalling windows 95 or 98.......i thought it was DELTREE C:\windows....or DELTREE C:\win95....neither work...so yeah i figure i would just do a clean install of windows 95 then windows 98........oh yea one other thing when i tried to install windows 98 from boot it says it already has windows 98 and needs a upgrade..yet when i dont use my boot disk and it tries to load windows its win 95 missing like a fuck load of files and shit and cant load....so i fugure what the person before me did was try to install a pirated or fucked up version of win98 to upgrade and something went wrong....and now its all screwed up...any help would rock...i know u guys like fun questions like this!:D

Clements

I always thought it was format c: (no backslash after c) in the DOS prompt thing. Try that. Then do a fresh install of 98.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Deltree was a DOS command, included with MS-DOS. It basically deleted a directory and all its contents.
It isn't disturbed with any windows, though.

icepir8

The trick to upgrading a win95 machine to win98se without an upgade CD is to rename win.com to something else. Then you select to install to c:\windows instead of the default of c:\windows.000 that it shows.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Doomulation said:
Deltree was a DOS command, included with MS-DOS. It basically deleted a directory and all its contents.
It isn't disturbed with any windows, though.

The Deltree command *is included* with Windows 95
and Windows 98 in the C:\Windows\Command folder.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
RJARRRPCGP said:
The Deltree command *is included* with Windows 95
and Windows 98 in the C:\Windows\Command folder.
Eh?
I'm pretty sure as I've tried deltree under windows (yes, 98) and it didn't work... :plain: but oh well.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
If anybody is interested, I made a souped-up version of the Win98 SE startup disk. I crammed everything on there I possibly could. Only 10 KB left. :)

If anybody wants it, I'll upload it as a disk image for Rawrite.