What's new

Doom III Announced!!!

B*A*G*G

Emutalk Member... sorta
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020503/laf018_1.html

id Software(TM) and Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI - news) announced today that Activision will be the worldwide licensed distributor for DOOM III(TM), the latest installment in one of the most successful franchises in PC gaming history. Built on id's revolutionary new 3D graphics engine, DOOM III draws players into the most frightening and gripping 3D gaming experience ever created. DOOM III is currently in development for the PC by id Software and will debut at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo in Activision's booth #1224 in the South Hall.
"DOOM III will change what people expect to see and experience in a PC game," said Todd Hollenshead, CEO, id Software. "We couldn't be more psyched about DOOM III, and are thrilled to debut the title at E3 with Activision. Get ready to be terrified."
"We are excited to continue our successful and long-standing relationship with id," said Larry Goldberg, executive vice president, Activision Worldwide Studios. "I'm sure that id fans and action gamers alike share our anticipation for the latest incarnation of DOOM, which is one of the most important franchises in PC gaming history. There is no doubt that DOOM III will be at the top of every gamer's most wanted list."
best PC gamming news ive heard since the announcement of Doom II.

Last edited:
OP
B

B*A*G*G

Emutalk Member... sorta
no, that was just some geforce 3 promotion crap.
nvidia was just using id

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
I'm pretty sure they announced it. Haven't they been talking about how it's got great AI, so there is a single player game worth playing?

sk8bloke22

roll for life
they definitely mentioned it. they said it was gonna all single-player. and i swear there were announcements about console ports. i could be wrong though.

OP
B

B*A*G*G

Emutalk Member... sorta
i hope the original Doom style of gameplay remains for Doom III.
doom II is still one of the most original & addicting FPS to play today. expecially with some killer doom apps like jDoom & Doom Legacy.

Johnny_Rico

Mobile Infantry
I am sorry to interrupt your optimism, but...

I really believe that id software had lost it. Thay can't make a game at the same quality as Doom II or Doom. Many of the original team members had already left the company.

id's last game, Quake, was a crying shame! I'm not saying it's not fun or any thing, but the game is just ugly. The level makes me throw up. In all the History of id software the games weren't just a stupid demonstration of a great 3D engine.

The bed times, in my opinon, started after John Romero had left, Quake II came out and it was a great game, but... It lacked originality and style. Then American had left, and only John the programmer has been left in id (and the artist).

John (the programmer) knows how to make a 3D engine. And he did, it's called quake 3.

To make a long story short: Doom III is gonna have a very good graphic engine, but unfortunately that's it!

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Er, John Carmack was the one behind Quake 3, and Quake 3 owns. John Romero was behind, well, Daikatana... and the less said about that the better.

Johnny_Rico

Mobile Infantry
John Romero had one bed game. But now he had a few good ones with the rest of id's deserters. They have setup a company, "Monkeystone", and it's doing alright.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
wateva, u cant say nothing to u actually play the game. i hate when ppl just show off their knowledge about the industry, if the game is crap ull know when u play it.

adi

get out of my house
didnt some dude from the doom team work on deus ex which was one of the best games ever? and i agree with you rob, people shouldnt judge unless they've played it, but doom 3 does look amazing. i hope its not another hyped up failure though

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
AFAIK no one important from the Doom teams worked on Deus Ex. The misconception is down to the game being from Ion Storm which Romero owns and he is, from all accounts, "a dick". Warren Spector was the main genius behind Deus Ex.
(And I`m one person who would be entitled to claim knowledge of the industry)