What's new

Donkey Kong 64 and EEPROM Saves (HELP)

Dub

I've been using P64 on and off to do VG music rips of various games since I cant connect my N64 to my computer. Its perfect for ripping the music from the rom and later converting said pieces to MP3. Unfortunately I ran into a snag that seems to be well known around here and that is basically rescuing Lanky Kong and getting past the various Barrel Blast (timing issues) and Dogadon/Angry Aztec stages (no boss keys).

Now Ive read the related threads and realize that the only way to pass said Barrel Blast parts is by changing the Counter Factor settings (is that correct?) and I also realized that the only way to get the Boss Key for Dogadon is to change the CF setting to 2, then reload the save state. Am I correct on that?

Now upon reseaching past topics on this board I came across something I'd never heard of and those were EEPROM save states. These thinsg seem to be near goldmines for me as I've discovered several that had various boards open including one past Gloomy Galleon (which I heard is another horrible trouble spot concerning the Octopussy boss) and one which has the game finished completely at 101% (the one I'm really wanting to open because it will save me a hell of a lot of time in ripping)

What I need to know however is this? I've checked the help manual and looked up things everywhere and am completely flustered on this. I have all the .eep files in question. How in the hell do I open them and make them work? I've tried renaming them as .pj files and .n64, loading them directly, placing them in my save directory...NOTHING. I'm at my wits end and I'm obviously missing something very simple since everyone else knows how to use them and what to do with them, but I am honestly completely and totally lost and I'd hate to have to throw out the entire rip I've done so far on something as silly as this.

If anybody could help me (even if I have to go so far as to request a save state) I'd be greatly appreciative as I'm literally ready to just punt this thing in frustration. Help? Please. :p

NOTE: One last thing - I'm just gonna be flat-out honest. If you do respond, kinda dumb it down for me when you explain how to work them. As much as I hate to admit it, I tried to understand some of the posts here and the technical jargon literally threw me for a loop in some places. I was never known for being techno savvy. ^___^;;;

Thanks for your time. I look forward to any responses....

Last edited:
EEPROM saves are used only by the game (ROM) itself (AKA: Native states).
But to use one/replace one, just do as I say:

First goto the PJ64 folder (e.g., C:\Program Files\Project64 v1.5\saves)
Then rename the Donkey Kong 64.eep file to something like Donkey Kong 64.bak (for a backup copy)
Then take the EEPROM save file and rename it to "Donkey Kong 64.eep" (Note: make sure that it's saved to the PJ64 Save folder (e.g., C:\Program Files\Project64 v1.5\Saves (or \save).

And last, start up the DK64 ROM (DO NOT HIT THE F-7 KEY), and goto the Load Game, if you see any used games, then it's OK
And if not, you are using a bad save (or one not used by DK64) or I missed quoted something.