What's new

Dolphin x64/Dual Core BETA screenshot (warning 56Ks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiklit

I tried running XP x64 as my sole OS for a week or so and had to switch back to 32-bit. The compatibility issues with all of my stuff were even worse than in Linux. I might dual boot when Dolphin comes out though.

BlueFalcon7

I tried running XP x64 as my sole OS for a week or so and had to switch back to 32-bit. The compatibility issues with all of my stuff were even worse than in Linux. I might dual boot when Dolphin comes out though.

I know what your saying. I just built myself a computer, and installed Windows XP x64 and I cant even get the drivers for my wireless card to work. If I continue to have problems, I might just have to wait for vista x64. Or at least dual boot. There just arent enough 64 bit apps right now.

Sercio

the point is i dont want to pay 100€ to only get the dolphin experience... and the trial edition does make me to much errors o_O!!! There is one other way but they wont give me uptades :( hmmmm im really confused....

Coco

I dunno, I didn't find it too bad. I've been running x64 XP for just over a year. Supports decent. Although it has issues for sure. I mean things like webcams have just about zero support. I believe there is a total of 2 webcams in this world with working and supported x64 drivers. Although I hate webcams so I view that as a feature. :)

To be hoenst unless you have really weird HW it tends to work fine. Even the stuff that is weird you can generally just decorate (just add the x64 decorations to make them appear 64 bit) the drivers and wham it'll work just fine. The only piece of HW I've not gotten working is a webcam, and to be hoenst I bet I could if I actually tried.

Plus there are some major benefits to x64. Like if you do video encoding it litterally goes just about twice as fast. I was amazed at the diffrence it makes. Although finding a 64 bit program and 64 bit codecs to match was a bit of work but it saves loads of time. Plus true 64 bit programs really do show a diffrence in performance.

At any rate only drivers are an issue. So it's a one time issue, once you've got them installed you're good to go. Everything else can be 32 bit and runs just fine, but you get the bonus of 64 bit if you happen to find 64 bit software.

Last edited:

chiklit

Well neither of my TV cards (Dazzle DVC 150 / ATi HDTV Wonder) have 64-bit drivers so having videos encode twice as fast doesn't do me much good :p. I couldn't get encoding to work either though since I couldn't get the VFW half of ffdshow to work, and I couldn't get megui or vdubmod to be able to find the codec to read the files. (Even though the avisynth file played fine in MPC) And megui while not specifically written for x64, does run in 64-bit mode since it's a .NET app, it's interface seems to run much slower than on 32-bit. I could actually sit there and watch windows draw all the components on the interface when you opened a new window. I might go back if you have any suggestions though, since I do video editing as a job, faster encoding would definitely be a plus. (I've already reinstalled Ubuntu 3 times on my laptop tonight, might as well redo Windows again while I'm at it. :p)

Last edited:

ector

Emulator Developer
Don't worry, there will still be 32-bit builds of Dolphin. They won't be quite as fast as the 64-bit ones, but at least they will be faster than current Dolphin versions.

That's the price you have to pay if you wanna stay in 32-bit land :)

TerraPhantm

I'll be making the move to 64-bit once Vista is out, the only incompatible hardware I have are my wireless card (which is an outdated 802.11b Cisco card) and my sound card. I've been meaning to upgrade both anyways, so I guess I'll just look for 64-bit compatible stuff.

jih2000

ector - have you thought about adding the capability to use MMX or SSE instructions to Dolphin, PCSX2 and Chankast use them to great effect for large speed increases? Not sure if they are applicable to Cube emu though?

ector

Emulator Developer
Dolphin now uses SSE2 heavily (+ one SSE3 instruction). MMX isn't very useful for GC emulation, though.

jih2000

wow cool :) will SEE1 users still be ok (AthlonXP)? Someone on the PCSX2 forum wrote a piece of code to wrap SSE2 to SSE!

emwearz

jih2000 athlon XP users will run really slow (even if the emulator did run) as you wouldn't benefit form either 64 bit or Dual core. (And there just slow machines by todays standards)

BlueFalcon7

wow cool :) will SEE1 users still be ok (AthlonXP)? Someone on the PCSX2 forum wrote a piece of code to wrap SSE2 to SSE!

If you dont have even the SSE2 instruction set, you should rip out your pentiumIII (or athlonXP if your an AMD user) and eat it. Really, its not worth its weight in gold. You will see such a performance boost. Make it your new years resolution to upgrade CPUs. SSE is primitive, its all about the Specialized SSE3.

When instruction sets are emulated, it usually takes the same amount of time with the substitution of codes. Its not really worth it unless that instruction is requierd to make the application run.

Somebody who codes emulators can correct me, or clarify it because I dont know my x86 asm off the top of my head.

jih2000

The guy who did the wrapper for SSE2 in PCSX2 said that the performance hit was small! it was only a few instructions that required wrapping from what I can remember.

BlueFalcon7/emwearz, not everyone has the option of upgrading with minimal cost. Have an XPC at the moment!

Anyway, I just made a constructive suggestion and its basically up to the dev. to decide if its worth the integration effort/ and evaluate any performance hit (i'm not in the position to say if its worth it and your not either as only he knows his code and how it works!).

Last edited:

emwearz

I didn't say you should upgrade, if you cant upgrade, don't. Im just saying PC's that don't have SSE2 are outdated (as it is a standard instruction set) so even if these pc's had the SSE2 instruction set, there so old and slow they would still run slow.

jih2000

I didn't say you should upgrade, if you cant upgrade, don't. Im just saying PC's that don't have SSE2 are outdated (as it is a standard instruction set) so even if these pc's had the SSE2 instruction set, there so old and slow they would still run slow.

I don't want to get into a my machines slow/fast thread but I can run Doom3/HL2 etc at fast framerates on the athlon with all details on. However I don't get 100's frames :). SSE2 is only a recent standard across the CPU industry, newer generation Athlon processors now have it (I know I'm a couple generations back with Athlon) and its not what I would call standardised like the X86 microarchitecture.

Anyway, like I say, it's all up to the dev. and not us to decide (If he decides SSE2 than I will probably upgrade sometime in the future!).

chiklit

I don't want to get into a my machines slow/fast thread but I can run Doom3/HL2 etc at fast framerates on the athlon with all details on. However I don't get 100's frames :). SSE2 is only a recent standard across the CPU industry, newer generation Athlon processors now have it (I know I'm a couple generations back with Athlon) and its not what I would call standardised like the X86 microarchitecture.

Anyway, like I say, it's all up to the dev. and not us to decide (If he decides SSE2 than I will probably upgrade sometime in the future!).

I'm not sure I'd called SSE2 recent. Intel's been using it since 2001, and AMD's been using it since 2003. ;)

BlueFalcon7

From what I have read from people who code, SSE2 has quite a few instructions that help with stuff along the lines of PowerPC emulation. I know that it is used in Rosetta on Intel Macs, and I beleive Lightning said something about how if the Dolphin incorporated SSE2 into the dolphin, that it would go quite a bit faster. I also remember that SSE3 was another instruction set that was required for rosetta to go at decent speeds. It made me mad, because I didnt have SSE3, I had the P4 before the Prescott core, and I couldnt run any PowerPC apps on OSX86.

Shin_Gouki

regarding last post :
MY GOD thats so interesting i think im sleeping +_+
regarding thread:
im TOTALLY overwhelmed by the PURE MASS of Screenshots in this thread... i bet even a 56 k can get throuh the frist site , and then ...uhm have fun with the "other" important information in the thread...
*_*

wbr Shin Gouki

Status
Not open for further replies.