What's new

Dolphin-Vista problem

Gijamo

I don't remember which thread it was, but in a thread, someone said that if do the ctrl+alt+delete thing and set Dolphin's priority to high or higher than normal, you'll get higher FPS (in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (only game ive tried) i get like 5.80 FPS in the game, in the menus, when theyre talking and the intro video doesn't even work).

My problem is, that if i run Dolphin in "run as adminstrator" (My computers OS is Windows Vista Home Premium) then, when i try to change the priority, it just gives me an error message saying it's got no access. If i don't run Dolphin in "run as adminstrator, then i can change the priority to high, but it crashes and gives me a compatibility error message when i try to run Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

ector

Emulator Developer
If Dolphin is the only CPU-consuming program running, priority won't have any effect on speed.

OP
G

Gijamo

If Dolphin is the only CPU-consuming program running, priority won't have any effect on speed.

When i do the ctrl+alt+del command now, with only IE running, (which ain't running when i use Dolphin) it says 2-4% of the processor is being used (with IE, theres 80 procesess running) and it also says Physical Memory: 40%.

I don't really know much about computer's, but i guess at least some of the CPU is being used.

Knuckles

Your problem:

You use Vista.

If you don't have a damn good PC, Vista is a real ressources eater.

OP
G

Gijamo

Your problem:

You use Vista.

If you don't have a damn good PC, Vista is a real ressources eater.

Yeah, i know, Vista screws up alot of games and stuff. (like Star Wars Republic Commando and at least eight of the Command & Conquer games, except that i don't have the latest one).

Well, anyways, since i already started this thread, i have another question. When i go to control panel and then system, it says my Processor is Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13 GHz 2.13 GHz. since it says 2.13 GHz twice, does that mean it is dualcore or what? (Just curious, and i really don't know because i bought this computer from Dell, and i don't really know much about computers, so...)

By the way, what would you define as "a damn good PC"?

I just remembered that on most of the screenshots in the final dolphin sticky, it says Gekko Limiter if you can see the image large enough. And somewhere i also read about some kind of Dolphin-Gekko competetion or whatever. I guess my question is, what is Gekko/Gekko Limiter?

Last edited:

ector

Emulator Developer
Yes, your machine is most certainly dual core, and 64-bit (so you could run a 64-bit Windows version on it)

The "Gekko-limited" thing in the title bar doesn't really work. It's supposed to show whether emulation in dual-core mode is limited by emulating the Gekko (GC CPU) or Flipper (GC GPU), but the detection doesn't work at all so it always shows Gekko-limited. It would only be useful for development anyway, even if it worked, so don't worry about it.

OP
G

Gijamo

Yes, your machine is most certainly dual core, and 64-bit (so you could run a 64-bit Windows version on it)

The "Gekko-limited" thing in the title bar doesn't really work. It's supposed to show whether emulation in dual-core mode is limited by emulating the Gekko (GC CPU) or Flipper (GC GPU), but the detection doesn't work at all so it always shows Gekko-limited. It would only be useful for development anyway, even if it worked, so don't worry about it.

Okay, but what do you mean "(so you could run a 64-but Windows version on it)"? My computer is 32-bit, and the 64-bit relase doesn't work at all, i have already tried.

LelandStanford

Okay, but what do you mean "(so you could run a 64-but Windows version on it)"? My computer is 32-bit, and the 64-bit relase doesn't work at all, i have already tried.

You CANNOT install Windows 64 bit from WITHIN the 32-bit system. You have to boot from the 64 bit CD and do a fresh install on a different partition.

Your processor (6400 line) supports 64-bit. If you have any doubts, download cpu-z and check for EMT-64.

ector

Emulator Developer
Obviously, I'm going to have to add a feature to 32-bit Dolphin that checks whether the user has a 64-bit CPU and recommends him/her to install 64-bit windows...

Drizen

As other members have stated, you're not going to get any significant performance improvements from setting higher priority if Dolphin is the only program that requires a large portion of CPU usage. Furthermore, 80 processes? You need to shut some of that crap down man. My computer on average is running about 30 processes at a time. You need to either close out of some programs or disable a bunch of unnecessary processes from running on startup.

And yeah, Vista is still pretty resource-demanding too. Currently Windows XP is still the best medium for gaming on the PC performance-wise.