What's new

dolphin controllers

BlueFalcon7

Have you even played the dolphin? It runs at about 1-4FPS, thats a CPU issue, not a GPU issue, so it will be a few years before the dolphin starts to work at playable speeds. Multiplayer is pretty much useless when your playing a game at 1-4 FPS.

OP
G

gmer92

I know but if they fixed the framerate and they got it up working good, it would be a good feature.(just a suggestion)

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
gmer92 said:
I know but if they fixed the framerate and they got it up working good, it would be a good feature.(just a suggestion)
They can't, that's the whole point. Current computers aren't fast enough.

BlueFalcon7

Its hard to explain, but emulating an executable on a system with a different type of processor, is usually extremely time consuming, and very inefficient to say the least. It has to read the foreign executable commands, and process them as a foreign executable. your CPU is not only processing the foreign executable, but processing the windows executable to process the gamecube executable. Some codes even have to be compincated, by using a whole bunch of windows executable commands to do 1 gamecube command because the archetecture of the CPUs are completely different. Like I said, its hard to explain, but thats the general idea of why its so slow, and the code wont be optimized much more with todays computers.

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
Agozer said:
They can't, that's the whole point. Current computers aren't fast enough.
If computers aren´t fast enough as you say, would you mind telling me why ps2 emulators run at almost full speed? c´mon, my computer sure as hell fast enough, because if i am correct, the ps2 has a more powerful hardware. Besides, dolphin used to run MUCH faster before.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
EmuFan said:
If computers aren´t fast enough as you say, would you mind telling me why ps2 emulators run at almost full speed? c´mon, my computer sure as hell fast enough, because if i am correct, the ps2 has a more powerful hardware. Besides, dolphin used to run MUCH faster before.
The PS2's hardware isn't as powerful as the GameCube's. Second, most fully 3D games on the PS2 emulators are still slow. 2D is faster.

Third, The reason why Dolphin was faster before was because it wasn't as accurate back then. The Dolphin authors aim for accuracy, and the tradeoff is speed. If you want speed, you have to let go of accuracy. Emulator authors do not code emulators so that people could play games with them. Accurate emulation of the target hardware is the goal.

Last edited:

BlueFalcon7

OK let me clear this up, What Azoger said is correct, but FiRES said that the reason the dolphin ran faster, was because it used HLE in some places. HLE does make it faster, but it doesnt add compatibility, beecause HLE has to be engineered for every file. Rather the dolphin uses normal emulation, and emulates the executable, opening the files off the gamecubes executable, rather than HLE data coded in the emulator. If they perfect emulating the executable, it will most likely work with codes from other games, but at the price of speed. If they perfect a part of a filetype, it only works with that filetype, in that series of games. As the dolphin gets better at emulating the executable, they take out HLE codes, (sometimes they are inaccurate.) Thats why the dolphin gets slower. While I do think that the dolphin should have some sort of open HLE, where anyone can make HLE plugins to make it faster, and maybe more compatible. Eventhough the dolphin team could still work on what they are doing.