What's new

Does my plugin work with any Radeon cards without DirectX z buffer problem?

Rice

Emulator Developer
Can someone verify this?

If you have the problem of Directx z buffer problem with your Radeon, can you go to the control panel and check the w-buffer is enabled for DirectX?

Trotterwatch

Radeon 8500 with Catalyst 3.1 drivers
Direct X9

Went into control panel, and then compatability and enabled W Buffer. The result = the same. I also tried enabling 32bit Z Buffer in the same options menu. Again the same result. I also tested both at the same time W and Z support, again it was the same result :(

Even with the Z buffer probs you can see that this is an excellent plugin, so I hope it can be fixed soon (either by you, or ATI).

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
Wow, thanks very much. The info is very helpful.

W buffer should be enabled anyway, the plugin is actually using w buffer as depth buffer (not z buffer).

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
I found a laptop computer with Mobility Radeon (LY), tried my plugin on it. DirectX works great, no zbuffer problems. In fact, DirectX works slightly better on this Mobility Radeon than on my Geforce2 MX400.

This driver version is 6.13.10.6143, 7/25/2002.

I don't know how big difference from this Mobility Radeon to Radeon 7500/8500/9500.

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
some shots taken with the Mobility Radeon

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

I think ATI really messed up the W-Buffer support somewhere along the way. Several PC games have similar problems, ATI are reportedly working on a solution.

In every game I have tested with this plugin visual artifacts have been abundant (driver flaw not your plugin obviously!)

Anyone else here with a Radeon and an older driver version other than the current one?

AppleCrow

it seems that I've found a fix

I've tried several options through 3d-analyse. and at least I've got a perfect display for mario64 just by using the software t&l, insteed of the hardware one.And I don't change any options for the buffer, just it.
is it the solution?

I've a radeon7500 AIW.

Sorry if I can't join a screenshot for mario64, but I've not seen a display bug for the introduction (not waterfall behind the princess).

Smash Bros remains buggy, Banjo Tooie too.
I've not tried the Zelda for the moment.

Trotterwatch

Just tried what you said in Mario, and it indeed fixes all the problems :) Nice one, and a great first post!

Emulating HW T&L caps using 3D Analyze 2.13 also makes the errors go away in Mario.

Also tried this with Banjo Kazooie which works at a fast frame rate but suffers from slight stutter (even with Limit FPS and Sync game to audio)

MarioKart64 works fine also and looks really good. However when the Kart turns the screen 'stutters' the framerate is unaffected but it renders the game unplayable.

Off to test again now :)

1964 latest version results

Mario Kart works perfectly, frame rate is excellent, no stutter either
Banjo Kazooie again works perfectly it would seem
Mario works perfectly also

Last edited:

Caesius

I got some questions that you guys would seem to know. Which is Better, The lastest release of 1964 or the lastest release of PJ64? And also, i went into the control panel and i cant find Directx z buffer

-Shadow-

Banned
1. You revived a exactly 2 years old thread!
2. You should use both 1964 and pj64.
3. That z buffer problem is fixed since two years and I doubt you will find that option in the latest Catalyst drivers.

spork9

RU D0WN W1TH 00P?
You cant use pj64 and 1964 because of the plugins. they have to be in the same folder as the emu

Caesius

-Shadow- said:
1. You revived a exactly 2 years old thread!
2. You should use both 1964 and pj64.
3. That z buffer problem is fixed since two years and I doubt you will find that option in the latest Catalyst drivers.
lol wow i didnt even see it was two years old. Thanks, but what are the advantages of using both?

Caesius

spork9 said:
You cant use pj64 and 1964 because of the plugins. they have to be in the same folder as the emu
yeah so i can just move the files when im using a different emulator, or i can even download 2 rice plugins or what ever.

Saleen351

Ever heard of "Copy And Paste" :p .Just copy the plugins of one and paste them into the plugins folder of the other..... :p