What's new

Does Cassinni have save state/load support?

Hamsandwhich

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I've been playing around with the various emulators (saturne, ssf, cassini), and I can't find a save state option. Saturne seems hard to configure, and ssf seems a little unstable. Cassini (for me) has the best feel and stability.

Anyway, I don't supose Cassini supports save/load states?

Thanks for any tips!

Borisz

Cassini is a fake hackjob. Don't use it. Seriously.

I don't think any Saturn emus have save state support and it's better that way.

OP
H

Hamsandwhich

Okay -- that's fair... so what is the most stable emulator (in your opinion)? Alot of the ones I've tried crash completely when I try to access options, etc., while in-game.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
SSF is currently the most stable Saturn emulator, but thene again, this is my opinion.

kefka95

Borisz said:
Cassini is a fake hackjob. Don't use it. Seriously.

I don't think any Saturn emus have save state support and it's better that way.

Out of curiosity, why do you believe it's better not to have save state support? Save states, along with frame skip, are the main reasons I often prefer to use emulators over the real thing. I like save states for a number of reasons (and not because it makes games "easier"). My guess is people think it makes playing the games less "hardcore" - in that case, they can simply not use it.

Anyway, I for one hope to see a Saturn emulator with save state support at some point in the future.

Borisz

Out of curiosity, why do you believe it's better not to have save state support?
Because I prefer compatibility over luxury cheat features. There are still tons of games not working or having glitches.

kefka95

Borisz said:
Because I prefer compatibility over luxury cheat features. There are still tons of games not working or having glitches.

I suppose that's predicated on whether people consider save states a "luxury cheat feature" (I don't, though it can be used for that). Among the not-so-small "non-luxury" uses of save states are compatibility testing and bug fixing - once you run across a glitch in a game, you don't want to have to replay the parts leading up to it over and over again in order to find a way to make it work right - especially if there wasn't a chance to save recently.

Save states would actually help to work towards the goal of fixing glitches and getting games to work properly, a goal you mentioned earlier as being the top priority.

Borisz

Baku Baku and Soukyugurentai hangs with a black screen after the bios logo, want a savestate of it?

Darkfox

That guy that does stuff.
These features can come later. Compatability comes first. Then stuff like variable window sizes and extra features, save states, etc. It is better that way so they can focus on the main issues. Though there is definetly nothing wrong (NOTHING wrong, as in it hurts nobody and hurts nothing) with save state support. Just not at this time.

Darkfox

Last edited:

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
yeah me too. i have never looked forward to a update of a emulator as much as i have for satourne! have you seen the screnshots on the official website? (sorry for being off topic)

kefka95

Borisz said:
Baku Baku and Soukyugurentai hangs with a black screen after the bios logo, want a savestate of it?

...I never said every single problem ever could be solved with save states, but they certainly wouldn't hurt. Is there really a need to be confrontational in every single post you make?