What's new

Dissapointed with PC gaming.

WhiteX

I´m posting this because it is really getting to me the way M$ left the Pc rot and die as a gaming platform and how we gamers did nothing...

The PC is being left with nothing but MMO´s, FPS´s, RTS´s and some very bad coded ports from console games, at exclusive games front, we get more attention to bells and whistles than to gaming itself, it is like selling a book with an ad telling of the paper and ink qualities.

The FPs´s are getting more beautiful by the second but it is getting way harder to tell them apart, the RTS´s are getting more bureaucratic than ever before, scaring out new players and MMO´s, well, it is not every day that you want to socialize in your games and not every one has a 2 Mbps connection.

Even if that is overlooked, you could have fun with your PC if not by the fact that more an more games reach the market bugged to unplayability and publishers could not care less about patching them, we had Battlefront 2 that took more that 3 months to get patched and the patch did not adressed a common issue that prevented the game from execution; most of the games i played this year had flaws to be overlooked, patched or left to play when the patch arrives.

So, OK, you got a game of another than the stated genres that worked out fine from day 1, well you could have fun with that if not by the fact that, weirdly enough, the game has a much higher requirement at your machine than its console counterpart (Halo, Halo 2, i could go on and on) or your gamepad does not work (even on multiplatformed games) or you just can´t configure the settings to achieve a better performance, come on, a DX 10 card and WinVista to play an Xbox game, control Agent 47 and many others without a gamepad, no bumpmaps on TR: Legend on a machine capable of Doom 3, that´s just wrong.

To sum it all, I had enough, my PC costed me way more than all 3 current gen consoles and i just can´t play, M$ and the publishers left PC gaming die so i´ll bury it under a console that i´ll get to play Megaman.

Last edited:
OP
WhiteX

WhiteX

Games are for windows, you see...
If M$ wanted to make PC a good gaming platform, they could get more publishers to port games, mainly the XBox ones, they could ask for a quality check, they could do a number of things...
They´re using their strongest gaming franchise, Halo, to be the selling point of WinVista for gamers.

Last edited:

Jakob

evil *******
believe it or not the evil corporation(the other one) walmart is partially behind the crap pc games these days as they routinely tell the developers what to make and what not to make, they've been doing the very same with other product suppliers for years, you either comply or sit out in the cold.

BoggyB

This is why I've bought very few computer games in the past few years. The most recent game I've bought is probably Myst IV (would've got Lego Starwars except my comp's not up to it).

There's just not been anything new that interests me. It's partially the same on the console front as well - the only upcoming game I'm interested in is Twilight Princess.

The handheld segment is another matter - I've seen at last half-a-dozen games for the DS that I will by as and when I get a DS.

It's not Microsoft's fault - believe it or not they have no say over what someone writes for Windows. More accurately, it's the fault of big developers like EA who are pouring more and more money into making games, and so are reluctant to try new ideas in case (shock horror!) some of those ides don't work. It tends to be mostly smaller/independent developers who actually try new ideas rather than making this year's FPS or football game. It's why I like the way Nintendo are going, as they're not afraid of innovating.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I generally like your posts WhiteX but once this one makes no sense, think about it, what can a PC do? everything. A PC has no limits, it has no boundarys. I might be crazy but I can still walk in a Game shop and see hundreds of PC games on the shelves.

It does cost a fortune to build yourself a gaming PC but the only reason things like the XBox360 are so cheap is because they are mass produced and sold at a loss. The Xbox 360 can't do my word processing, it can't do my video editing and it definitely can't run my emulators (yet).

PC gaming only suffers because of mass majority of people who aren't PC nerds like us, the convience of a console is a pretty easy choice - you plug it in and its off, you don't have to do anything. A Console is definitely better for games than a PC for convience wise.

There is plenty of games that are PC exclusive that we can play, such as the Upcoming Spore game - and the Black and white 2 genre... that's pretty awesome gaming.

revl8er

That Damn Good
I would have to agree with WhiteX on this one, the PC should have other games also. I mean you got MMORPGs which are probably the most popular, but are basically being overrun by 10yr olds. You also got fps games which are very fun, but are basically the same thing over and over. I really can't say anything about RTS games because I dont play them. I just think that PC deserves to have its own type of game not centered around online play. I know online play is what most PC gamers are looking for right now, and I do enjoy playing online also, but shouldn't we get something like an original RPG or maybe even a good action game for PC.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
The problem is that consoles have caught up to PC's power and speed, consoles up till the ps2 generation had nothing on current PC's but the new line - xbox 360 - ps3 and the Wii are all capable of doing things our PC's can do with games and there is no way a PC can compete with the convience of a console. My 360 makes my PC look like a joke in gaming.

PC however has the advantage in God Games and anything requiring a mouse. I prefer to think of the PC as a general purpose thing, I use mine mostly for video editing (hence why I chose Intel since they were better at the time with this task)

You all have to remember that the PC was never intended to be used for games when it was first invented. The PC's flexibility is the edge over the consoles but no longer in games for the time being.

A PC is a jack of all trades and a master of nothing.

J-Nic

Zelda Guru
I'd have to agree with ScottJC. people who I know who have NO idea about cpu hardware and have an out-dated graphics card upload their game into their PC and try it out, only to find out that its slow and buffers too much. So they toss it aside and let it collect dust. It's just that consol gaming is so much simpler that using cpu gaming, considering the fact that you don't have to have any major specifications to get it working properly. The fact is, microsoft is already making enough money off of the xbox as it is. I'm satisfied with what cpu's have to offer already, I don't need to play any PC games. I've got all I need with console gaming. and besides, its not like you can't play online using the xbox, xbox 360 or playstation (1 game with gamecube). What I'm saying is, you've got everything u need when it comes to gaming or your consol, why go crazy over the PC. and plus, the newer ftp's are'nt that bad.

BlueFalcon7

When I first read this, I thought WhiteX was crazy, but I have to agree with him, I was looking at my programs, and noticed that I only had 3 PC games: (besides my roms.) Halo (which is a friends copy,) WoW, which is just taking up 5 gigs on my HD, and roller coaster tycoon 3, which I never play. But I have the space to waste, so the games are staying.

OP
WhiteX

WhiteX

It is nice to see that i brought up some talking over the issue...that was my main goal with that.

Scott, my man, the thing is that a big number of ppl, mostly ppl here in poor countries, have to choose over a platform and Windows gaming is nowadays the worst one to choose.

I always thought that one day PC gaming would improve, it would be just a phase, but not, PC gaming is not improving, ports are going from PC to console all the time but it is not "backwards compatible".

I agree with you that the PC is the Jack of all cards but the master to no "game" but as a guy who spent most of his gaming budget on a killer PC, for Brazilian standards, PC gaming left me with nothing.

If the raw amount of money i spent here were to be spent on a 1st world country i´d have one of you big rigs but here my machine is god like but this is not because of world money distribution, but the fact that ppl should be warned that it does not pay to build a awesome PC for gaming, a console is much more fun.

I mean, an Xbox is supposed to run Doom 3, with al its bells and whistles (smaller satges though) but my PC that is capable of the same thing is not capable of running Halo 2 or Onimusha with no FPS problems or bayond good and evil till the end and many others...

EDIT: after rereading your posts, scott, you just made my point, Console gaming is easier and more fun...Oh, and spre is getting a handheld port, man.

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
You just need a graphics card upgrade, thats the only part holding you back - get yourself a nice x800 and your gaming will be FAR FAR better... or get something close when you can. Trust me I owned one of those 9600XT's and they just plain suck. In the PC world the slowest part is how fast your PC can be.

Btw I apologize for saying your post made no sense to me, because it did heh. About spore, hand held eh? I doubt that'll work very well... will be named Spore but I doubt it will be the same game.

Azimer

Emulator Developer
All you need is to find one golden game every 6-12 months to keep you happy. Currently, I am playing WoW, Fable (I realize it's a port... but it's still fun), and an oldie NWN Platinum. When I am tired of these games, I move on to anything else that caught my eye. About 85% of the PC games out there are skippable. I completely skipped the whole MMO era until WoW. After WoW, I never plan to revisit. I do plan to dabble in Oblivion in a few months when I am no longer focused on WoW.

OP
WhiteX

WhiteX

You just need a graphics card upgrade, thats the only part holding you back - get yourself a nice x800 and your gaming will be FAR FAR better... or get something close when you can. Trust me I owned one of those 9600XT's and they just plain suck. In the PC world the slowest part is how fast your PC can be.

That´s the point, why upgrade my vid card for the price of an X360?
PC gaming is more expensive and became less fun, back in the day we could brag about a lot of games that were PC exclusive, now consoles get very thought out ports and we are left out of the loop on 3rd person action games among other genres.
Again on the upgrade, why, if the bugged games are as crappy on high end as they are on mid end?
I am about raising awareness, friends, to entitle ppl to make a solid choice on their gaming platforms and now PC is the worst choice.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
You are damn right WhiteX, I can totally understand where you're coming from now... I must admit that I have played no games on my PC for about a month... seriously. I've played plenty of Perfect Dark Zero and Dead Or Alive 4 though.

Xbox 360's graphics look better than f.e.a.r at the highest level of detail on my compy, at that level even my pc starts to crack under the pressure at times (lower frame rate). This generation of console is bridging the gap fast.

I wouldn't give up my PC though, I use it for a hell of a lot of other things than just games, what I wouldn't mind though is someone building Xbox360 like PC's you can just buy - take it home and thats all you have to do, nothing else - that would rock. (At the price of the 360 because its hardware is very close to my compys and is actually better apart from the memory.)

Convience with consoles is just too large these days to care too much about games on PC - some gems come along time to time though so it doesn't hurt to have a nice high end machine.

Last edited:

Miretank

Lurking
ScottJC said:
You are damn right WhiteX, I can totally understand where you're coming from now... I must admit that I have played no games on my PC for about a month... seriously. I've played plenty of Perfect Dark Zero and Dead Or Alive 4 though.

Xbox 360's graphics look better than f.e.a.r at the highest level of detail on my compy, at that level even my pc starts to crack under the pressure at times (lower frame rate). This generation of console is bridging the gap fast.

I wouldn't give up my PC though, I use it for a hell of a lot of other things than just games, what I wouldn't mind though is someone building Xbox360 like PC's you can just buy - take it home and thats all you have to do, nothing else - that would rock. (At the price of the 360 because its hardware is very close to my compys and is actually better apart from the memory.)

Convience with consoles is just too large these days to care too much about games on PC - some gems come along time to time though so it doesn't hurt to have a nice high end machine.
See, to have good graphics and playability you may need to upgrade. Consoles don't need to have their graphic system updated (*yet, I am afraid*).

Edit: Ok, just forgot about expansion packs. :p

OP
WhiteX

WhiteX

That´s what i am talking about scott, i will never let my Pc lose much of its market value and yes, gems come from time to time, however my advice for ppl who want a gaming machine is...Get a Console!
If one day M$, WalMart, EA or any of these manage to see that Windows Gaming just does not pay off, maybe we can have a change on the scene but the way things are going, consoles are the way to go.