What's new

DirectX 9.0 and emulation?

dreamer

just a brief question, firstly i apologise if this topic has been mentioned before;

i seem to have aquired DirectX 9.0 with my new graphics card NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X, now assuming DirectX 9.0 is compatible with that card, what differences in emulation (mostly n64 or better) are there when comparing it to lower versions of directX, i had 8.0 before.

maybe theres no difference at all untill you get into GC emulation :huh: i hope someone can clarify this for me as im unsure about it

Allnatural

Depends on the plugin. Orkin's new Direct64 uses DirectX 9, and I think Rice's plugin does as well. I don't know to what extent though.

-Shadow-

Banned
GF 4 ti isn't completely compatible with DX9 , it has no Pixel Shader 2.0 :D

But with a real DX 9 card (Rad. 9600 , GFX5600) you got a BIG advantage , you can use Direct64 , the ultimate plugin ^^ Ok , its still alpha and doesn't support ALL games , but it Rox the ones who are booting ;)

In any case , Rice's plugin is also veeery nice ^^

Clements

Right, a GeForce4 Ti4200 is actually only 8.1 compliant, but since you had an integrated GeForceMX before (which is DirectX 7.0 compliant, no shader support), it's a smashing upgrade.

You should be able to use the Pixel Shader function in Rice's plugin and all of your emulated games can be played at higher resolutions with Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic filtering enabled (I recommend using 4xAA and 8xAF on your card with emulated games, check your Performance and Quality settings in your drivers) and it'll hardly slow down. Also the image quality of your other 3D games that use shaders will dramatically increase. Since you don't have DX9 compliancy, Dolphin may look a bit weird, but I wouldn't worry about that as by the time its playable you'll probably have a new card.

OP
D

dreamer

thanx for replys, i was just curious as i noticed the directX 9.0 which i never had before, lol, since the new card i've noticed a large increase in speed as my previous card was intergrated and sapping power from the whole pc! not that i got much slowdown before anyway (only when i pushed it)

OP
D

dreamer

i just read your reply clements, thanks, you mentioned <i>I recommend using 4xAA and 8xAF on your card with emulated games</i>

how do i change/enable 4xAA and 8xAF on my card?

Clements

In the Display Option in Control Panel click the settings tab and then click the Advanced button. In the new menu click the GeForce Ti4200 tab and click Performance & Quality settings. Unselect the application controlled for the AA and AF and select a setting. I use 4xAA/8xAF and that works great for me, and it really does make a massive difference since now you have a GPU that can handle it. Make sure you get some updated drivers from http://www.nvidia.com as well.

OP
D

dreamer

okay thanx for the advice, it seems when i put the antialiasing up to 4x it slows down the game a lot (only on higher resolutions), but 2x works fine, but anisotropic filtering at 8x works okay too.