What's new

Direct64 v0.5.03.25

Toaste

Impressive...

From the token forum lurker: :paperbag:

Its amazing how things progress then you drop back in on the scene after a year or so. Back when PJ64 1.5 was new stuff, everyone was concentrating on working out gfx glitches full time. Now it looks like we're to the point where developers can really innovate with improvements such as texture filtering with 2xSaI, hires texture packs and even projects to totally change the looks of the game.

Orkin's tinkering has really impressed me with some of the cool effects he's working on, like cell shading, per pixel shading, and polygon subdivision. I envision eventually having an “effects” tab in the GUI with options to turn on any number of things at once, with separate check boxes for cell shading, outline drawing, and TRUFORM. That'd keep the processor warm!

Orkin, while you're playing with this, check out the Non-Photorealistic Render demo hosted on this ATI page if you haven’t seen it. (I know it says Radeon 9700, but if my mobility 9600 can do it your card will probably be just fine). It demonstrates hatching techniques for a sketch effect as well as outline generation. ATI also hosts a paper on NPR which includes info on shaders that you may be interested in.

Anyway, I thought I'd give a shout since I find all this stuff fascinating, and I hope I wasn't too disruptive :blush:. I'm usually fairly patient, and I know how hard it is to integrate a bunch of new features into a project, but with so many exciting developments already I can't wait to see what comes from all these new ideas! *ducks*

OP
Orkin

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
I have some good news for you all!

First off, to explain the rather large delay of the new Direct64, for various reasons I've had limited access to my development machine lately which has, obviously, slowed my progress. However, today I installed Visual Studio .NET on my notebook (Dell Latitude D610 w/Mobile Intel 915G Express graphics), and decided to give Direct64 a try on it. Well, expectedly, it didn't work...BUT, I just changed a couple lines of code and pretty soon I was running OoT on my notebook!

So basically, it should be a little easier to find time to work on Direct64 since I can use it from my notebook now. Plus, Direct64 is now compatible with some of the newer Intel integrated graphics (still requires PS support!).

I hope to have something more for ya'll in the not-to-distant future...
Orkin

mongo51983

Zelda Maniac!!!
Sitting back and relaxing, take your time, just can't wait for this release to come, keep up the good work Orkin.

ray16

The Grand Potatomaster
Some of the newer Intel Intergrated Graphics have basic PS support? I didn't think that would ever happen...

Nice to see an update. I'm looking forward to the next release, keep up the good work.

Last edited:
OP
Orkin

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
ray16 said:
Some of the newer Intel Intergrated Graphics have basic PS support? I didn't think that would ever happen...

Yep, PS 2.0 even. It's not very fast, but it works. I might be able to run some real games on it...except it only has 8MB video memory. :huh:

ray16

The Grand Potatomaster
Orkin said:
Yep, PS 2.0 even. It's not very fast, but it works. I might be able to run some real games on it...except it only has 8MB video memory. :huh:

So... it's basically a Voodoo with PS support... o_O

I mean, I'm sure it also uses some of the system RAM, but still... Blargh...

*Hugs his new 6600GT*

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
ray16 said:
If you mean a voodoo 1, then perhaps. The newer voodoos (4/5) are far more powerful =) The Glide API is a wonderful API :p

elitejavi

it's-a me!
ray16 said:

I mean, I'm sure it also uses some of the system RAM, but still... Blargh...

*Hugs his new 6600GT*

you'r using 77.72?
arg :yucky:
have you tryed...
mmm, i dunno...
XG77.62HD T3?

it's great!

PS: don't you love the sig?

seeya

gandalf

Member ready to help
Oh men! i need a good driver for my future 6600GT
i used the XG´s drivers with my old 5200, and they are great!
So, what are the latest XG´s drivers?

na para, argentina...mas facil :p q drivers me recomendas pa la 6600GT?

ray16

The Grand Potatomaster
elitejavi said:
you'r using 77.72?
arg :yucky:
have you tryed...
mmm, i dunno...
XG77.62HD T3?

it's great!

PS: don't you love the sig?

seeya

What's wrong with the 77.72's? I haven't had any problems so far...

dragon_rider

&#31169;&#12399;&#31452;&#12364;&#22909;&#12365;&#
I downloaded 77.72 a couple a weeks ago and it really messed up the video display in Windows Media Player! What did it do exactly, in all video clips, regardless of the video codecs I installed/removed, it looked like some horrible rasterization effect crappy 80s movies used (the intro to Pod People for instance). I uninstalled them and the problem vanished; now tell me there's a problem w/77.72, is there not? It wasn't even a beta release, either!

Noxious Ninja

I've heard several people say they have video playback problems with 77.72. I have 77.13 installed now with no issues, so I don't plan to try it myself. ;)

@Orkin: Is glN64 officially dead or what?

flow``

flow``
in order to fix the video playback.. go into your nvidia control panel, under the "color correction" tab, apply changes to "all", hit restore defaults so everything is at "1" and then his apply ..

elitejavi

it's-a me!
can i make a link to the page?
it's a really frendly community, and everyone there helps you, buti don't think anyone there uses emus =P
anyway, 77.72 has presented lot's of errors and big slowdowns, so we have XGed the more stable driver, that's XG77.62HD Type 3.
2 points:
if you get to the forum, READ BEFORE POSTING(i'm tired of people asking things like: "Whats the best driver for XXX card!!!" (we don't you search?)
always use driver cleaner before installing a new driver(there's a guide in the site)
tell me if I can post links!

seeya

C&C Freak 2K

Emutalk Member
Orkin said:

PS 2.0 is supported (mostly, as the chipset supports DirectX 9 but is not DX9 compliant), but VS is still emulated by the CPU, so overall performance is largely based on your CPU.

It has more than 8MB of video memory. The driver runs as an application in your system and dynamically demands up to 224MB of your system memory for video. The chipset just initially allocates 8MB (which is why some programs might report 512MB of RAM as 504MB).

I happen to have a new Dell with a 915GM in it, so I could help support with this new silicon.

Reznor007

Doomulation said:
If you mean a voodoo 1, then perhaps. The newer voodoos (4/5) are far more powerful =) The Glide API is a wonderful API :p

Voodoo5 5500 is at most 13x faster than Voodoo1. My lowly Radeon 9600 is 26x faster than Voodoo1.

Glide is ok...but has several shortcomings. It lacks all of the blending modes that even OpenGL 1.2 supports(GL is now up to 2.0), has no hardware T&L support, has no programmable shader capability at all, no cube maps, no Dot3 texture blending, no EMBM, etc....

Voodoo5 is basically a DirectX 6 video card, with multisampling capability(added in DX8).

I love my V5, and used to do some basic Glide coding, but it's not as great as some people make it sound. FWIW, primary Glide3 development stopped in 1999(there were a few additions for the Tbuffer functions, but that's it).

dragon_rider

&#31169;&#12399;&#31452;&#12364;&#22909;&#12365;&#
Why is the Glide API even used? At least 90% of people who own videocards will most likely not have one with Glide in it. Sure you can do some pretty cool things with Glide like the awesome Mario 64 invisible-cap effect using alpha-dithering. Let's face the facts, the Glide API just isn't as compatible/full-featured as Direct3D or OpenGL. Maybe if Hacktarux's Wrapper or Zeckensack's Wrappers would actually work like they're supposed to, I'd have a different opinion on Glide.