What's new

"Direct3D Device Creation Failed" on Geforce 6800 GT

Zidewinder

When I try to play a ROM in Dolphin 1.02, the "Booting" message comes up like normal, but then I get an error that says "Direct3D Device Creation Failed." I click OK and the program crashes.

From searching these forums I gather that the usual explanation for this problem is a "cheap graphics card," however I have a Geforce 6800 GT which isn't cheap by anybody's standards. :p Does anyone know anything that might help me fix this? Here are the rest of my specs:

Asus A7V8X Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
1GB OCZ DDR400 RAM
Gigabyte Geforce 6800 GT
DirectX 9.0c

Thanks in advance!

Knuckles

You installed the latest forceware drivers from the nVidia site?
You have directX9.0c installed?
In the video settings, is the device type set to "HAL" and not "REF" ?

Knuckles

right.... weird...

I guess you're on a Win2k/XP system too...
tried reinstalling all those 3 (DX9c/forceware/dolphin)?

ArgJuli

Argentine emutalk-tennisplayer
maybe are your Dolphin Settings.....I had that error two....but if you press in Options the Toogle Full Screen.....the Screen shrinked and then you can run the game perfectly....your Dolphin Settings also they have to be in Default.....Bye!

OP
Z

Zidewinder

Aha! I finally fixed it by de-activating the toolbar button "Render Framebuffer." Dunno why that was causing a problem, but I'm glad I tried it. :) My only problem now is that I'm getting about 4 FPS... Is that typical for a system like mine?

Thanks for the help guys! :)

DOGG

Zidewinder said:
I'm getting about 4 FPS... Is that typical for a system like mine?

that's typical for any system. Dolphin is largely CPU dependant. Until they optimise it, it's going to stay that way.