What's new

difference between US n64 games and EU n64 games?

Pal vs. ntsc games

So, i was wondering what the difference is, between the pal and nstc versions of the games that you can play on project 64?

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
PAL (European) games run 17% slower than their NTSC (American, Japanese) counterparts. Other than that, PAL games often have a multiple language option.

Predator82

PAL (European) - NTSC (American, Japanese)
50hz - 60hz (the 17%)

Some other changes are due the translate or other borders in-game

example killer instinct gold: sabrewulf has another colors of his pants

Predator82

The best way is to buy games ;) & no, when you only speak german you´ll not happy with an american game but they are "untouchter" as an european game which may can have more issues

Agozer

PAL games tend to have more problems when emulated, because the required timing is different. This is not always the case, but some PAL ROMs exhibit problems not present in the NTSC version. If you want a faster game, and don't care about additional languages, use NTSC ROMs.

Of course, the most admirable course of action would be to get an actual Nintendo 64, and some game carts.

OP
U

Ultimatium

Well, i already own a nintendo 64, but the graphics are straight up terrible on my tv. Anyway, i think im probably going to play ntsc games, thanks for the advices.

Last edited:

Agozer

If th V/Is at the bottom right of the Project64 windows show ~59.98 when a game is running, you have an NTSC ROM. If your ROMs are named according to the Good64 naming scheme, the filename should include (U) for US games.

OP
U

Ultimatium

Pal vs ntsc games

It seems like there's a big u at the end of all my games, does this mean that all my games are ntsc?

Last edited:

Agozer

In general, yes. Unless of course, there are a few kickass japanese games that on emjust have (with or without an english translation).

Agozer

Same with the japanese, Rumble enabled version of Super Mario 64.

Oh yeah, Wonder Project J2, Sin and Punishment, what else?

Clements

PAL region Gamecube games can at best support PAL60 (480i), while NTSC region games can output to 480p with either the digital A/V output cable or when played through a Nintendo Wii.

OP
U

Ultimatium

I see, thanks for clarifying. Also, since ntsc games can support 480p, would this provide a better resolution than pal games? If so, then im probably going to play ntsc gamecube games as well.

Last edited: