What's new

Dialup Networking? (yeah, a bit redundant, but read the post)

Vchat20

my question is: is it possible either via ICS or some kinda hub (doubt a router would be possible) can I network a dialup connection? cuz considering our current situation dialup is gonna be our connection for a long while. but I plan on inheriting a laptop from my cousin soon which I would like to network with the main computer (this one). any ideas? I know this has a simple answer probably, but I am too dumb to use the search function :p

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Yes, it's possible. Just put the modem in the hub and configure a network...that can be hard. It should be easier on xp, though.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

ok. I was just wondering cuz I was having problems being able to run File And Printer Sharing along with a dialup connection. it would either have to disable File And Print Sharing and connect, or not connect and leave sharing alone.

anyways, I will try this when the time comes. for now, I just wait.

Doomulation

Network is always a pain in the ass...come to myself, i had loads of problems when sing it :plain:
Network, I mean. Not connection-sharing.

2fast4u

different idea would be a proxy server, which is extremely easy to setup if you got the network running. back when i had dialup i used "winproxy" (theres 2 versions, one is commercial one is free .. now guess which one i used ;)). you might wanna give that a shot as well (go to download.com) :)

ics is integrated from win98 and up, i have never used that for dial up connection tho.

but I am too dumb to use the search function

in that case my friend you shouldnt even _try_ to network two computers :p

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

well, I think I have the basic idea of networking and shouldnt have much of a problem. believe me, I read 2 networking books front to back. plus watched a friend network 2 of his computer's from start to finish. yeah, I think I got the idea.

Cyberman

3Com makes a firewall switch dialup combo you can setup really easily with your web browser takes a few minutes and you are up. When you get broadband you can still use it since it includes a ethernet connection for one of those modems.

Cyb

vileP

I run this computer (see specs) as a router via ICS, and i've only had very minor problems with a 98SE computer to be added to my "network" with two other computers. All computers are connected to this computer via crossover cable, and I've only had relatively minor proplems, mostly with the workgroup name being wrong.

Doomulation

Slougi said:
How so? Set it up once and be done with it.
I set it up then. But problems occoured afterwards still.
Mainly, my main computer (windows xp) could access all other resources in the network. But the others couldn't reach any of the resources on the xp compurer. You had to wait a while before it could access them.

It mainly complained 'bout "password required." But the other computers could access all others fine. They were using windows 98 and ME (yea i know it's crap, but i needed at least win98se which i didn't have :()