What's new

DeSmuME and iDeaS -- both have two differences..take a look

reversegecko

Start an emulator, get thousands of people excited, then quit.

This seems to be a reoccuring theme in the emulation community. Why is it so rare for talent and dedication to coincide?

Btw, Cyberman, there's no need to quote the post directly above you, it simply clutters the forums and increases the load times for us 56kers.

Last edited:

vcatkiller

That sounds a little harsh to me. Mostly a lurker here but just felt to respond to that comment.

Obviously when he started he wasn't in a full time job. He probably had no idea he'd be offered the dream job that would take up all his time and leave little for emu development. No point even theorising what he'd done if he'd known. It's not often you get an oportunity to do what you love. Good luck to him! (little envious myself but I'll get over it)

The other thing that springs to mind is at least we know it may be over. At least we don't end up in a situation hanging around eagerly waiting for an update that'll never come. (like some other emus I can think of) If an update to iDeaS happens, it'll be a pleasant suprise rather than a "oh my God! Finally!" Not that I condone the hanging around in forums bugging emu authors incessantly for updates or anything. <_<

Good work on the emu Lino, and good luck with your new carreer!

(ok, suppose I'll go back to lurking? :p)

Cyberman

reversegecko said:
Start an emulator, get thousands of people excited, then quit.
Ummm... and get a life in between? :D

reversegecko said:
This seems to be a reoccuring theme in the emulation community. Why is it so rare for talent and dedication to coincide?
Ummmm because it takes a lot of work to make an emulator just maybe? If you wish to help .. you are free to do so. Sometimes programing is like getting a frontal lobotomy.. only harder in some respects. Right now on a current net project SVN and sourceforge aren't too happy with each other (sigh). It's something like SCUMMVM but I digress. One has to eat as well as work on something one has fun doing ... emulation is in the fun realm in my view. Hence I wished the guy well.

reversgecko said:
Btw, Cyberman, there's no need to quote the post directly above you, it simply clutters the forums and increases the load times for us 56kers.
Hmmmm... I think you had very little too complain about in the first place.. but this is a bit ludicris. I'll just assume you had a really bad day and are venting... on strangers (for some reason) :D

Cyb

Evrain

The Forbidden One
I am well aware that a lot of people had high expectations on iDeaS, I really am. Yet, as said by Cyb, the net is one thing, real life is another, and much more compellent. Lino was on cloud nine when he was offered thet job, and I can do nothing but feel happy for him, since I know that, apart from his laziness (which required me as the project leader in the first place XD), he's a talented dev.

Before permanently leaving, Lino gave me the source as well as the latest beta, which I still have stored here. I had half n idea to actually see if I could slap some more functions into it, but again, studying to become a physician and coding an emulator aren't exactly compatible with each other. Trauma Center is nothing like the real thing :)

True, Lino said that, after a year, I could decide what to do with the data, but when I look at certain forums, filled with whining newbies and plain lamers, I can't help but feel disgusted. Ever since I entered the scene (with noobish results, I was a damn EVA freak and had smiff ban me. So what, sue me!), I estabilished that, if I was to take a more active role in it, I would follow a more GNU-ish line of conduit, nothing like Icarus or other emulators/emu authors, always in touch with the community and the users, trying to actively improve the field I'd get sucked in (as of now, DS emulation). So much for being told "...and no loss for the forum!" :D

Okay sorry, too much ramblings. Summing up, I am saddened that so many people took badly my news. But real life is WAY too precious to waste on a fun project. Besides, DS'es are quite cheap now, and DSLite is approaching fast. Maybe one day iDeaS will be reborn, who knows.

Love and peace, folks
Evrain

PS: I'm NOT dead! If you need something, I'm still on the board. Anyway, any emu author in need of a beta tester/spokesman/project manager/whatever?

Last edited:

Low Lines

Here's a positive note. :unsure:

It'll give me some time to catch up with my compat list!!! lol :party:

Nah I think Rockmangames is giving me a run for my money,:bouncy: he's just too quick for a young guy like me to keep up (and that should be the other way around!!!)

You should keep the source to yourself Evrain, I mean to me its like vultures have appeared all over the net (scat off you bird things!!!)....But I am sure there are some fun loving people out there like Cyberman said!;)

Cyberman

Good idea bad idea..

Evrain said:
I am well aware that a lot of people had high expectations on iDeaS, I really am. Yet, as said by Cyb, the net is one thing, real life is another, and much more compellent. Lino was on cloud nine when he was offered thet job, and I can do nothing but feel happy for him, since I know that, apart from his laziness (which required me as the project leader in the first place XD), he's a talented dev.
Which is also cool he got a nice job! Lazy is part of being a programer, I call it steady and progressive reasoning. ;)
Evrrain said:
Before permanently leaving, Lino gave me the source as well as the latest beta, which I still have stored here. I had half n idea to actually see if I could slap some more functions into it, but again, studying to become a physician and coding an emulator aren't exactly compatible with each other. Trauma Center is nothing like the real thing :)
Really? I'm shocked.. you mean you can't just reset the game?! :D Good fortune on your studies too!

Evrain said:
True, Lino said that, after a year, I could decide what to do with the data, but when I look at certain forums, filled with whining newbies and plain lamers, I can't help but feel disgusted. Ever since I entered the scene (with noobish results, I was a damn EVA freak and had smiff ban me. So what, sue me!), I estabilished that, if I was to take a more active role in it, I would follow a more GNU-ish line of conduit, nothing like Icarus or other emulators/emu authors, always in touch with the community and the users, trying to actively improve the field I'd get sucked in (as of now, DS emulation). So much for being told "...and no loss for the forum!" :D
Well people make mistakes.. people do dumb things.. we live and learn. The important part is the latter.

Evrain said:
Okay sorry, too much ramblings. Summing up, I am saddened that so many people took badly my news. But real life is WAY too precious to waste on a fun project. Besides, DS'es are quite cheap now, and DSLite is approaching fast. Maybe one day iDeaS will be reborn, who knows.
Ehhh some people tend to think about themselves first and it was GOOD news heck he got a decent job! I think the guy was just having problems and said "Hey I'm just anoyed I'll shoot my TV oh wait no I'll yell at someone for no reason about something I can do nothing about and I have nothing to do with other than leech." I'm not sure if the guy complaining realized it but quoting more is the least of his load time issues at 56K because an image is easily 10-50 times more data :plain:. Not only that, it wasn't that much to begin with.

Evrain said:
Love and peace, folks
Evrain

PS: I'm NOT dead! If you need something, I'm still on the board. Anyway, any emu author in need of a beta tester/spokesman/project manager/whatever?
Not from me! (got me plate filled already)
Also I had the forum name changed to DS Emulation (general).
I'm fairly sure that this is not the end, I just see it as a branch in the tree of life ;)

Cyb

reversegecko

Many people work full time jobs, have exciting lives (even families), and all the same write amazing free software. There is a general lack of these people in the emulation world, and I wonder why. My post was not an attack on Lino (who was not even mentioned in my post).

My bit directed to cyb was intended to be constructive, I'm not looking for things to complain about. I'm very serious, there is a bit of over-quoting going on and it doesn't help. That's just my opinion and I won't flame you all for disagreeing.

I'll return to lurking now.

proffessor_Gad

I seriously hate it when n00bs, who want to play games for free, get online and start flaming at programers who have better things to do with their time. Programing is not easy stuff, it takes patience, brains, and more patience! Besides, it's not like the world is over just because a skilled hacker got his life-long dream come true, and stopped working on his emulating project.

A rule I learned in life- Think then export. Not export then think.

Low Lines

Lovely little conversation people, but uh.....isn't this a little off topic??? Considering the the thread is called DeSmuME and iDeaS -- both have two differences..take a look

But keep talking!!! I like where this is going, contraversal disscussion that is more constructive than just down outright flaming and noobing is a very nice thing to have, I should think. Though it is amazing how one person can make such an impression on others, me included!!! :bouncy:

Cyberman is still the best though. Can't beat his words, regardless if they require large amounts of quoting, sometimes it's better to be direct and show the facts than to just assume everyone knows what you are talking about....for example,

Must of forgotten!!! lol Sorry Rockmangames...

Rockman, you are probably the most helpful person around here (second only to Cyberman)....Oh and nobody start thinking I am idlising anybody or anything cos I am not, just saying what I think about it!! ;) :satisfied

Woops I'm off topic too!!! Right back to finishing off my compat thingo I think!! lol

Last edited:

reversegecko

Well as long as Low Lines is enjoying us being off topic, lets continue this discussion.

proffessor_Gad said:
I seriously hate it when n00bs, who want to play games for free, get online and start flaming at programers who have better things to do with their time. Programing is not easy stuff, it takes patience, brains, and more patience!

There are many noobs like that, and they are a problem. But a lot of people do not realize that the other extreme - those who blindly defend emulator authors as if writing an emulator makes you a god - can also be problematic. We as a community need to gravitate toward the middle ground so we can support the emulator developers rather than flame each other to death.

Ieremiou

Well, to get back on to some kind of non-flaming topic...

There's always people working. It takes a years for 1964 emulator devs to make a release and that's fine they have reasons. The 64 emulation scene as I had been told was a bit of a chaotic event. The same for another project I beta test for mainly the DOSBox emulator (MS-DOS.) It took over a year and a half for a new official release to be made (and still tons more fixes are being added.) Work never ceases.

Anyways, the DS scene is still in infancy and since the DS Lite is so going to be so cheap (relatively speaking) in the states and I think will be close to the same price in other countries it's kinda stupid not to have a DS. (I don't have one because I have been in school but I hope to get a DS Lite fairly soon when they release it here.)

So anyways, I am a proud member of the DeSmuME open-source team on sourceforge. (I am Allustar on there.) I do some beta-testing and can compile the windows (MinGW/Msys) version and have commited a couple compiling fixes. Even so the current CVS is close to and maybe a tiny bit better than Normmatt's DeSmuME (0.3.4) version but nothing much has changed that shows visible improvement to the main program yet. It has been mainly porting to plain C instead of CPP and adding in the functionality of the normmatt's version as well as anglicizing it (since parts of it were in French).

In the end, an emulator takes a lot of work and effort for a community to put together. If people want to contribute then they know where to go (meaning the DeSmuME's project page.)

I suppose I said more than I ever needed to say but I thought I'd contribute that as slow as things go there is no end just pauses and undercover work. ;)

~Ieremiou

Last edited:

Low Lines

very on/off topic!!!! but i must warn you (they will swarm in on you like flies to poo) noobs i mean. sorry everybody, i'm feeling a little loony lately...haha....yeah. well Ieremiou, your comments ought to have put a smile on some of those glum faces that are apparent around here....not mine though, its been smiling non-stop!!!

Hmmmm...I had better hide for a while, people might think I am taking something, illegal!!!! HAHAHAHHA :evil: :evil: (and just in case someone does, I am not lol)

Bye for now

Ieremiou

Low Lines said:
very on/off topic!!!! but i must warn you (they will swarm in on you like flies to poo) noobs i mean. sorry everybody, i'm feeling a little loony lately...haha....yeah. well Ieremiou, your comments ought to have put a smile on some of those glum faces that are apparent around here....not mine though, its been smiling non-stop!!!

Hmmmm...I had better hide for a while, people might think I am taking something, illegal!!!! HAHAHAHHA :evil: :evil: (and just in case someone does, I am not lol)

Bye for now
Ah well I'm used to all the noob questions... take it from exprience with DOSBox... and I've seen it so I really could care less about how much they might attack me. I might as well be the public representative for DeSmuME at the moment... course that's self-proclaimed...

They will swarm regardless. So be it. *grins*

OP
spotanjo3

spotanjo3

We wish you the best of luck. Do not worry about n00b and please ignored them , ok ? ;) *grins*

Evrain

The Forbidden One
Ieremiou said:
Ah well I'm used to all the noob questions... take it from exprience with DOSBox... and I've seen it so I really could care less about how much they might attack me. I might as well be the public representative for DeSmuME at the moment... course that's self-proclaimed...

They will swarm regardless. So be it. *grins*

Hmmm... does this mean I've met my counterpart for the Desmume Project? ;)
Evrain

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Evrain said:

Love and peace, folks
Evrain

Thanks for filling us in Evrain. Hope to see Ideas back in the future! :bouncy: