What's new

Designer Cats (geesh)

A.I.

Banned
You know, playing around with gene technology is one of the new deadly sins, so all these cat breeders are going straight to hell. ;)

But seriously, when are they going to create the minature lion? I want one to use to guard the house! :p

smcd

Bah, I want someone to take genes from fireflies and mix it (like they did with tobacco) and mix in some genes from a zebrafish to allow regenerative properties. Then I can always find my cat easily and if I bob its tail and decide it looks worse, it'll just grow back! :p

smcd

I'm not a fan of genetic modification either, but as a person who enjoys science... what's the point of having a sandbox with lots of toys if you can't play? :p

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

Perhaps you should volunteer for genetic toying?
Or maybe your family... oh wait you see it's being done by people without you even knowing about it .. seriously you think that doing that some how constitutes as toys and play? Reminds me of the people who want to fire nuclear weapons or get "Small bombs". It's mind boggling how nieve people can be when it comes to the consequences of doing something REALLY deadly to everyone around you.

It's like the people who have a Methanphetamine lab and blow up part of a city block and all the people with it. Kind of selfish isn't it?

Cyb

smcd

I don't see a huge problem with similar-species (within same family/genus/whatever) like donkey + horse = mule for example. This isn't too much of a stretch (still breeding cats w/ cats) My suggestion about zebra fish and firefly genes was of course a joke sheesh!

A.I.

Banned
I think they're wasting their efforts and should concentrate on improving the cat species, like splicing dog cells with cat cells so you get a cat that actually comes to you when you call.

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

I hate to break this to you AI but that's all in how you treat the cat. Cat's follow several behavior patterns. Pride (IE lion behavior) independant (what most people think of as how a housecat behaves), and the third which is people friendly. Depends on if you hang around the cat much when it's young (first 2 months) and pay attention to it or not. Just like people you have to spend some time with the poor animal. Most house cats that aren't too friendly were treated like a thing and will be anti social. Pride and independant behavior are semi feral cats (Think of a bunch of barn cats when you hear Pride).
If you spend time with it, then it might then pay attention to you. LOL Although animals have default behaviors (IE genetic) these are not as set in stone as people would like you to believe. However ALL cats are hunters, so moving real fast in front of the cat will make it want to chase, it's up to the cat to chase though. Never run in front of a lion, that's a good example of how to get dead or mauled. The difference is a lion is BIG any cat is likely to give chase unless it's too old or has enough experience to know not to waste its time, works great on young cats :)

Cyb

Last edited:

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
I think they're wasting their efforts and should concentrate on improving the cat species, like splicing dog cells with cat cells so you get a cat that actually comes to you when you call.
My cats come to me when i call... One of them even reacts when i speak her name. It´s all about how you treat them.