What's new

Demul Complete Tutorial?

nt300

Hi All,
I was wondering if a few of you can come up with a complete step by step Tutorial in how to properly setup Demul, what is needed and how to load up DC games for playing etc...

We can use this thread and perhaps the MOD's can make it a sticky.

I sort of get some of what needs to be done, but still I've yet to play a DC game. The Dreamcast screen comes up and it asked to insert a disc. How do I go about doing this? I don't think I have the core elements set up properly etc....

Thanks,

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Your PM continued:

Yes, the "Daytona USA.cdi" in one of your zip files is a Dreamcast disc image. You can call it a ROM if that makes you feel better. After all, it's a file that contains the contents of a Dreamcast GD-ROM disc, and then some. Like I implied earlier, use Demul's gdrImage plugin to deal with disc images. make sure that the gdrImage plugin is the active GD-ROM plugin in the plugin settings window. Then configure it via Config --> GD-ROM. Select the disc image you want to use etc. etc.

Not really rocket science. Really. The menus really aren't that hard to figure out. Really. Try it, it's quite fascinating to [cl/d]ick around. File --> Run DC. With any luck the game should boot. Emphasis on should. if not, report back. Do note that it's been quite a while since the last time I've seriously looked at Demul, so my knowledge of things isn't as rock solid as you might think. We'll see how it goes.

Finally, I'm not really that keen on making a end-all tutorial of any kind, because I need you to ask questions. Do ask questions, it keeps the Internet alive. Even if your questions are so not worth everyone else's time, I'll give you a pass this time.

This time.

Last edited:
OP
N

nt300

Thanks for the info. Foolish me, that was easy LOL.
I believe that was my problem. By changing the plug-in to read the cdi image the game(s) boot up no problem. Currently I have Demul and the games on my 8GB flash drive so it now works with any PC I plug into.

The only minor issue I have is trying to setup my PC controller to work. It's the Microsoft Sidewinder 6-button control that Win 7 picks up automatically. It’s only 1 button short (START button missing) vs. the Sega Dreamcast controller.

I attempted to configure the control via Demul and it responds very well but it won’t stay like that in games such as Daytona USA for instance, so I configure the controller via the games menu/options, no problem, it just won’t respond in game the way it’s meant to. I am either stuck driving backwards with no brakes, or going forward with acceleration but no brakes etc…

Any ideas on how to get this PC controller working for me? Thanks a bunch…

It would be nice to be able to plug in a Dreamcast controller into the PC so I did some quick net searching and found this:
LINK: Sold Out
http://www.jandaman.com/games.mvc?p=pcjoybox&Category_code=PC

OP
N

nt300

I was trying to set up Demul on my notebook but the following is now happening and I did the exact same thing as my desktop which now works.

lol for some reason when I try to launch a game it tells me that it cannot find "1_01d_01.bin"? Any suggestions as to where this file should be at. In what folder it should be in. Thanks