What's new

Dell laptops are on fire - seriously

smegforbrain

Well, I just got back from vacation to see this bit of news. Now I've got to find out if my laptop is on the list for replacements. :p

I'm not surprised that the battery is at fault and, yeah, some of you will get a kick out of the fact that Sony is at fault. :)

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
It's not Dell what is causing problems ( I would like to blame them) Sony is the one who makes the batteries, Toshiba, Apple and other laptop companies are recalling a lot of batteries, all made by Sony. Laptops are not being recalled or returned, batteries are

OP
Toasty

Toasty

Sony battery
I know, but since they recalled the 'volatile' notebooks, you'd think people would rather return defective batteries, if for no other reason, just to save their laps. Either some people are lazy (entirely possible), or Dell has let some notebooks slip through the cracks (far more interesting)...

Cyberman

Welcome to Taco Dell!

As for the laptops this problem is caused by the use of Cobalt Oxilate for part of the Lithium Ion batteries chemistry. These batteries are very sensitive to heat, and produce free radical oxygen when they get to about 120C. This is why Lithium Ion batteries have such very particular charging systems to prevent such things. There are Lithium Ion batteries that are safer such as Magnese based chemistries (160C) they don't blow as easily. What makes this worse though is that the electrolyte in the battery is highly flameable. So you have oxygen in close contact with fuel... WOOSH. Once started they aren't extinguishable. Batteries made with Iron Phosphate or Vanadium phosphate chemistries do not shed there oxygen tell 1200C ... much much safer, but too many companies have there behinds into the Cobalt and manganese chemistries. So ... guess what? Exploding cell phones laptops and model airplanes... happen :D as a result.

Just for your edification here is a Lithium Polymer battery ... well burning.
The second image is the result of such a battery exploding and catching on fire in an SUV (Chevy suburban)

Last edited:

smegforbrain

Well, my laptop batteries weren't on the list for recall.

Since the big recall by Sony, a couple of other companies have had smaller recalls as well. And I had a Kyocera battery that was part of a recall awhile back as well.

The more devices, the greater the likelihood for problems. And such problems are only compounded when nobody notices for months on end. :p