What's new

DCEmu problems. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2

Darren

I am using Chankast and NullDC to try to play THPS2 and neither of them are working for me. The bios and everything loads up perfectly, but the game will not work for some reason. I have probably used every tutorial and read every help file I can find on both of these emu's but nothing seems to be helping.

I have the THPS2 files, e-thps2.001, e-thps2.002, e-thps2.003, etc. They are in a folder, and not in an iso file. I am using dir2boot and I make a bootable iso from the THPS2 folder full of .001 .002 .003 etc. files.

When I mount the image and run in in Chankast, it starts popping up "ioControl error" over and over again for a bit. I read somewhere, that this happens when playing THPS2 and just to ignore it and press enter until it goes away. So, I did that, and when they finally stopped, it takes me to the main DC menu. I thought it would have started the game, but owell. Anyways, when it gets to this point I launch the game from the main menu, and it starts the ioControl error popups again. So, basically it just creates a loop of ioControl errors back into the main menu and over and over again.

When I try loading the image with NullDC it goes straight to the DC main menu. I thought it was supposed to load the game, but it doesnt. Then I hit the launch game icon, and the screen goes black. It appears to be loading, when I first saw it I got excited cuz I thought it was working. But it just stays black. I sat for about 10 minutes, then finally gave up on it. I dont think it will load.

Can someone PLEASE help me get this solved. I just want to play tony hawk 2. Thats really the only game I want to play. Any help is very appreciated!!!!

Thanks,

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Do not use Chankast as it is prone to ioControl errors. You did extract the CD image from the split RAR archives (.001, .002, etc.) right? If the game doesn't start automatically when you use nullDc's Normal Boot, either the CD image is not selfboot or your Dc_flash.bin file is corrupt.

OP
D

Darren

Okay, good news, I got the game working. I dont normally work with .001 files, I always mount iso's and in this case, I mounted the .001 file completely! anyways, I extracted the image from the .001 file and it works.

So, bad news. The graphics are terrible. It appears that there is no textures. The game runs perfectly, but there is no menu, no text, no graphics of ANY kind. There isnt even an intro movie. There is only colored polygons that make up the game, no graphics. I have a pretty good graphics card, I can run games like World of Warcraft, Halo PC, and all my other n64 emulators and stuff run just fine.
What is wrong here!?

Agozer

Let me guess, you have an integrated Intel graphics chip or something very similar? If that's the case, you can forget about Dreamcast emulation.

OP
D

Darren

.................. Yes, that is what I have..... That really sucks... So, there is no way around this??? No plugins or anything to fix this?

Agozer

.................. Yes, that is what I have..... That really sucks... So, there is no way around this??? No plugins or anything to fix this?
No.

Blame Intel for not including hardware Transform & Lighting support in their chips. Get a decent desktop computer with a decent graphics card and then we'll talk some more.

Last edited: