What's new

DC problems, figured u may know

dgnr885

Well, i have been re-playing Grandia 2 on my Dreamcast and im about 20 hours iin the game (i take my time), and my DC keep messing up.
It will just suddenly restart, it will show half of the little orange swirl thing then the screen will turn black, and repeat.
So i try the "fix-all move" that we all use every once in a while, and smack it one swift time to the dome piece. Amazingly enough it works....sometimes...but it does it again if the DC lid gets twitched a lil bit.

Im just curious if anyone knows how to fix this problem, or has seen similar problems, cause frankly im tired of playin forever, then it shuts of on me and i have to do the same stuff over again. (damn save points so far from each other!!)

So help if u can PLZ :p

diablo2121

teh diAbLo
Hmmm... I have a question, do you have the Echelon rip or another? You could always buy Grandia 2, it was only like 15 at my EB. Good game though... :p

Last edited:

thmf_yr2004

hey i just registered for these forums and am a newbie when it comes to graphics cards and anything like that.....and im havin problems w/ chankast. But first of all i have a question about the specifications in general. I dunno if my computer supports SSE (i assume it does because it is a brand-spankin new computer) but here are my spec's in case i am wrong:

-AMD Athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.20 Ghz
-512 mb RAM PC2700
-Microsoft Windows XP version 2002

With these given spec's do i have SSE support?

Also....i have tried different virtual drives w/ the Chankast v0.25 emulator. I tried using Daemon tools version 3.29 and Alcohol 120%. But when I try playing Marvel vs. Capcom 2, it hangs up. When I used Daemon Tools 3.47 i would just get an iocontrol error but when i used 3.29 (with Capcom Hack option enabled) it would hang up (and in the exact same spot as when I used Alcohol 120%). It would freeze my whole computer for like 20 seconds but then it would give me a graphics driver error and told me to restart my computer. After I restarted my computer i went to microsoft updates to see if i needed to update the driver, but it said I had the most recent and up to date driver I could get. Do I need to buy a new graphics card? Is there anything special I need to download? Can anyone help me please?

Trotterwatch

You have SSE support, you need to find out what your graphics card is :)

So:

Start>Run>DXDiag>then the 3rd tab along the top (display I believe)
Then check the adaptor name.

If it says:
Nvidia (geforce something or other)
ATI (Radeon)

Then you'll be fine with updated drivers

If it says S3 Savage or Intel/SIS Integrated then it may be more of a pain in the arse to work - but is managable I believe.

Stezo2k

S-2K
dgnr885 said:
Well, i have been re-playing Grandia 2 on my Dreamcast and im about 20 hours iin the game (i take my time), and my DC keep messing up.
It will just suddenly restart, it will show half of the little orange swirl thing then the screen will turn black, and repeat.

I had exactly the same problem myself, it was due to the laser wearing out, it started doing it to my other games after a while, cleaning the laser did help, but the problem occured again after a few days, hate to say it, but you might have to buy another DC

thmf_yr2004

ok here is the exact error message i get when I try playin mvc2 (after it freezes the whole computer for 20 seconds):

"The vtdisp display driver has stopped working normally. Save your work and reboot the system to restore full display functionality. The next time you reboot the machine a dialog will be displayed giving you a chance to upload data about this failure to Microsoft."

I dunno, I hope that helps you diagnose the problem. I appreciate all your help.

OP
D

dgnr885

diablo2121 said:
Hmmm... I have a question, do you have the Echelon rip or another? You could always buy Grandia 2, it was only like 15 at my EB. Good game though... :p

Well this is a retail grandia II, i bought it when it was like 50 bucks lols
im jus curious if there r any dreamcast buffs out there that may know wut wrong with my DC....
I cant send it in to the company cuz theyre bankrupt lols
thx for replying me though...
alll the help i can get from u guys would be awesome :p

aika-san

thmf_yr2004 said:
ok here is the exact error message i get when I try playin mvc2 (after it freezes the whole computer for 20 seconds):

"The vtdisp display driver has stopped working normally. Save your work and reboot the system to restore full display functionality. The next time you reboot the machine a dialog will be displayed giving you a chance to upload data about this failure to Microsoft."

I dunno, I hope that helps you diagnose the problem. I appreciate all your help.

Try updating your motherboard drivers. I think you have an integrated graphics card which means your gfx card is part of your motherboard. this means you need the graphics drivers for your motherboard. If you can find what model motherboard you have and what version of windows your running, then you should be able to find the appropriate driver here:

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

thmf_yr2004

hey i updated my graphics driver and it still doesnt work. it doesnt give the error message like the last time.....but itll still crash in the same place. Do i need to buy a new graphics card??

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
You may try to find some other drivers for for your card. Use windows update or visit the website of the manufacturer of your card and try various drivers. If you can't make it work whatever you do then it's time for you to buy a new video card.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Anything as fast as a GeForce 1 or ATI Radeon 8500 should work (you can get them for very small amout of money) but if you want to use high resolutions and high levels of AA and AF you should get something better (and more expensive).

mezkal

Man on a mission
dgnr885 said:
Well this is a retail grandia II, i bought it when it was like 50 bucks lols
im jus curious if there r any dreamcast buffs out there that may know wut wrong with my DC....
I cant send it in to the company cuz theyre bankrupt lols
thx for replying me though...
alll the help i can get from u guys would be awesome :p

Yep. It's an overheating issue. First thing to do is remove the modem or broadband adapter (if you were lucky enough to get one) this will allow for better airflow. Then I would recommend getting a small fan and have it extract air from the grill on the left hand side (if the front of the DC is facing you). Lik-Sang used to sell DC fan/cooler unit - I haven't looked to see if they still do. That might be an option too.

Dreamcasts can get mighty hot and when they do the laser tends to get unfocused and the drives stepper motor seems to start acting wierd. I've seen it happen quite a bit. Just make sure you keep yours cool.

OP
D

dgnr885

i guess i was one of the fortnate ones to get the modem, but ill try it Mezkal
thx for the help