What's the better date format?

• International (DD/MM/YYYY)

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • American (MM/DD/YYYY)

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters

Sukh

Long gone...
I am constantly confused with different date formats on the web and sites that never tell you which they are using. Which do you guys think is better? :) :)

If like me you think the European one is more logical, maybe we can bug Martin enough to change it :)

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well, I think International is better because I like it when people set a worldwide standard that simplifies it for everyone. But I just cant get used to it so I use American. Same thing for measurements, I cant get used to metric but I think its better.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
er... thats what i use. Either have most significant to least (good for machine sorting, or least to most (easier for humans) - don't go e.g. MM/DD/YYYY, that's.... silly.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yeah in spreadsheet/databases if your not using a pre-formatted date, then you should use YYYYMMDD for sorting purposes. I was once given the task of modifying a program written in MS Access and all the fields in the database were text. Very annoying, luckily they had used that format and made it easy to find information in the database sorted by date even if it was in text and not Integer or Date.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I prefer the whole idea of DD/MM/YY 'cuz it makes it easy to read.
It's not as long as the 8th august, 2002, but shorter and still easy to read.

MM/DD/YY just makes it confusing. Days come first, month later, and last year. Isn't that in which the time really is? I mean in length.

A year is longer than a month. And a month is longer than a day.
That's why i think the international is lots better.

International all the way!

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
why not make it an option that you could choose yourself? so that way we won't have arguements on which is better if the user picks the one that they are most suited to.

mesman00

What's that...?
it all really depends on where your from and what your used to seeing. if from america, like myself, then u most likely prefer MM/DD/YYYY cuz thats what your used to seeing, if not, then u probably prefer DD/MM/YYYY cuz thats what your used to seeing.

tooie

when ever I program using dates I always do yyyy/mm/dd .. or if I am giving it to people who vary there dates I use this method .. it is the most accurate way to handle it .. and the best way I found in programming.

Tri-Force

Philosopher Warrior
so what day were you born in words. i was born on April Twenty-Second Nineteen Eighty-Three. mm/dd/yyyy. i never tell people i was born on the 22nd of April so i like mm/dd/yyyy because it's how we talk.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Haven't you noticed the date change already? Its gone to what I suggested, the long name date format. Everyone should understand it and its not bias toward International or US format, so nither party can complain.

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
Tri-Force said:
so what day were you born in words. i was born on April Twenty-Second Nineteen Eighty-Three. mm/dd/yyyy. i never tell people i was born on the 22nd of April so i like mm/dd/yyyy because it's how we talk.

I actually tell people I was born of the 6th of April, not April the 6th.