What's new

Dark Fox 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasmus

Banned
please help here

I posted this 6 months ago, It's an issue, which not many people know or care about obviously...

Star fox 64 is VERY dark in game, and it's not my brightness setting, and not my drivers and not my OS, cause it's the same in both xp and 98...

no one seems to have this problem, maybe they never played the real game, or just think it's meant to be dark, but it isn't.

so this time i'd like to see some of you claiming the game to be just fine and bright, to post an in game image, and if it's bright you have convinced me that it's my problem, so please do....???

if it's actually bright for everyone else, please suggest a possible setting to fix my dar fox 64 problem....:cry:

Corak

Nintendo gamer
I think YOU should rather post an image of the first level (or upload a savefile) where you think the problem is most visible.
I played the first level once and didn't notice any darkness issues.

conkerman

conkerman
well, ive almost beaten the game, and i dont notice any darkness problem, maybe your gamma values are off, brightness/contrast, or something else, here's a little screen of mine

OP
R

Rasmus

Banned
look at this image boys, it actually IS much darker than the original, and Corak, if you don't see this, then I bet you never playd Star Fox on the real N64....

soo, any settings to fix this?? and turning up brightness dosn't help...

by the way I tried all 5 verified [!] roms, and they are all the same regarding darkness....

Corak

Nintendo gamer
Rasmus said:
look at this image boys, it actually IS much darker than the original, and Corak, if you don't see this, then I bet you never playd Star Fox on the real N64....

Oh I did actually finish StarFox64 on the original system a couple years ago. But it's too long ago to remember subtelties like these.
The screenshot really looks pretty damn dark admitedly.
I just looked at the exact same scene on my system and yes it looks about the same. It doesn't feel that dark in actual gameplay. I don't have any problem making things out.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
ok listen.. i suspect ALL games will look dark because TVs have different levels than monitors (for example, black on a monitor is 0,0,0, on a TV it's something like 16,16,16) These games were of course made for TVs. Jabo doesn't adjust in the plugin because this sort of thing comes free (performance free) in all good drivers.

OP
R

Rasmus

Banned
I see, we are going the same way as last time I posted about this issue...

Star Fox 64 though, is one of my favorite N64 games, so i'm not at all pleased with the answers, cause even if you turn the brightness to 100%, it still dosn't look right, so it simply MUST be some kind of a bug, at least admit that... :sly:

But ok, it is somewhat playable;)

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
its only starfox that is affected and yes it is too dark.ive seen this rom run on a few pcs and their all the same. i have the same problem.starfox is very dark while the rest of my roms are fine

this is star fox64

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

Try changing your gamma settings temporarily for the game, that should fix it... you could also if it's available try turning the Digital Vibrance setting up a notch in the display settings.

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
digital vibrance turns the colour levels up - that would only make it worse. changing the gamma would work but youd have to do it every time you played the game

Trotterwatch

Well, if you adjusted the gamma, and the digital vibrance it should look better. Digital Vibrance would enhance the improvements.

But anyways, changing the gamma for this one game isn't too much of a hardship is it?

Trotterwatch

Well as Jabo's plugin is not in development anymore, a fix is unlikely to occur. Also, it may not be as simple as you would think, changing one command for one game may well affect every other one to their detriment.

Status
Not open for further replies.