What's new

CXBX runs a commercial game!

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
And believe it or not, it runs it at full speed! Download the awesome video from the <a href="http://www.caustik.com/cxbx/">CXBX homepage</a>, and check it out for yourself.

Last edited:

Evrain

The Forbidden One
Currently d/l the video... Hope it's not an April fool! All my respect to caustik and the other programmers in the emulation scene: it's only thanks to them if the emulators are now jewels of coding skills even better than the games themselves.
Evrain

OP
DuDe

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Well, if you've seen the gameplay video, there are quite a few noticable graphical errors in the game, like non-transparent water, missing polygons, and all sorts of other stuff. The resolution of the game also seems lower. While there's no doubt that such a video can be faked, I doubt someone will go that far for a delayed April's Fools joke.

minkster

if ppl think that is an april fools joke they are a noob cuz i saw errors in the game like the water was just blue and some other gfx errors.....to me i think its amazing work and hope they progress more to make a great emulator some day

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
minkster - you're a "noob" just for saying "noob". There are two kinds of people that say "noob": nerds and geeks.

;)

Progress looks great. The next-gen emulators are starting to get interesting....

Evrain

The Forbidden One
Besides, there is that magic thing called "source code", one of the most promising titles of this year, with amazing graphics and brainwashing bugs jumping out of nowhere :D
In fact, when the bug count reaches 10000 or so you can upgrade your copy of the game to the deluxe edition formerly known as "Micro$oft Windows" :D
Evrain

EDIT: I took a peek at Sourceforge, but the two files over there are outdated (2003): did caustik got confused or the CVS hasn't been uploaded?

Last edited:

ZDragon

I can hardly believe what they say about it (especially that stuff about the game running in 4x speed!) - but even if it would be POSSIBLE to edit that video for all those blue areas, it doesn't really seem like that. Even if it was fake they would be the master fakers in the emulation community, you could say!

Evrain

The Forbidden One
Oh well, it's caustik choice... Besides I only needed to take a peek at the source, I don't think I will ever think about XBX emulation ^_^;;
Evrain

Tsury

I don't think its a fake..
I was following his progress for some time now...
He first got only to the menu, afterwards some more ingame, and then he finally got to play it like that, I believe this is true. (And think about it, how can you fake 3d bugs? I mean, the untextured part of the dinasour, it is changing while he moves the screen, impossible to fake, I think.

khanmeister

Banned
This is definitely not a fake people. Caustik is and has been as legit as they come. sheesh.

It's unfortunate the Turok got working first, though, that game sucks! :D

Stezo2k

S-2K
Tsury said:
Yeah, I have the PS2 version and it sucks too :) Pitty it wasn't Ninja Gaiden or something :)

well it is progressing, there has gotta be another game that shows good progress, as for ninja gaiden, i love that game :) rather play it on the real xbox though

Evrain

The Forbidden One
A little side thought: Turok Evo is near perfect, but maybe Caustik hasn't tried other games as well... More infos could be obtained by beta testers or whoever had the knowledge (and courage) to compile the CVS.
Evrain

Tsury

Stezo2k said:
well it is progressing, there has gotta be another game that shows good progress, as for ninja gaiden, i love that game :) rather play it on the real xbox though

Well, I'd rather play it on real hardware aswell, but we are talking about emulation here, so if there was a game of my choice for emulation I'd choose NG... Its not that I'm impatient, on the contrary, I know things like that takes time (N64 scene), I was there at every little step, from begining of the fake programs, through the revolutionary UltraHLE to Project64, nEMU and 1964...

The thing that amazes me the most is the fact that the emulation of Turok is (or so it seems) at a very advanced level, I mean, GameCube emulation has long way to get to a playability of real speed and smooth gameplay with no crashes (Though I'm quite sure this will be acheived in not too much time from now).

When I come to think about it the PS2 emulation scene is getting a push too, now with PCSX2 making progress (A new version just out, grab it boys :) ).

I wish the emulation world more progress and successes like the one with Cxbx, PCSX2 and Dolphin :}

Evrain

The Forbidden One
Yet, the Xbox being just a depowered PC helps a lot: you don't need to port native GFX and SFX instructions to DirectX, XbX uses them natively! :D
Evrain

JevilKnevil

Very, very, very nice indeed! Yip, the Xbox is all powered by PC hardware so I figured it wouldn't take long to get an emulator working. Nonetheless, great job!