What's new

Create an e-annoyance, go to jail

bigank

http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-annoyance%2C+go+to+jail/2010-1028_3-6022491.html

It's no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity.

In other words, it's OK to flame someone on a mailing list or in a blog as long as you do it under your real name. Thank Congress for small favors, I guess.

It's illegal to annoy

A new federal law states that when you annoy someone on the Internet, you must disclose your identity. Here's the relevant language.

"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

Very interesting. However, this law is applicable to the U.S.A. only .

Toasty

Sony battery
I'm gonna arrest everyone who beats me on StarCraft now, because I find losing very annoying. What a dumb law.

WhiteX

That is easier to do than crush unemployment out of the country, but it is just a commie speaking.

Blacklord

Banned
those who think its dumb simply never experienced a nerd sending u thousands of messages. But thats what the ban button is for:king: .

Blacklord

Banned
freedom of speech refers to: oh hiya wazzup and answers cool nothing etc. But when the answer is leave me alone but he persists well..... thats what the net privacy police are for(or the ban button).

bcrew1375

If you guys had read everything, you would have noticed that this applies only to situations where the person's actions are not upheld by The First Amendment. :p

bcrew1375

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not..., but here it is:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Anyway, I seem to remember there being something about anonymity in there, but I guess not. I think this law, as you said, is referring to situations where people are persistent. Because it would then be harassment. If you could be arrested for simply doing or saying something annoying, everyone would be in jail.

WhiteX

Still looks like a stupid law to me. What happened to the "freedom of speech", America?
The Patriot act accidentally killed it with a missile that was headed towards Saddam Hussein. :p

Last edited: