What's new

cpu + memory question

gokuss4

Meh...
I just now got my bro's old Soyo SY-KT400 Dragon Lite with an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ chip. He just got an AMD Athlon 64 3200+. Anyways, I still have my old memory (512MB DDR PC2100). I notice in my Aquamark3 scores my cpu scores are only a lilttle bit higher (like 100 or 200 higher.. I'd expect it to raise more than that). If I get PC2700 memory or higher, how much will it effect my overall cpu performance?

Clements

Yep, better memory does improve performance (eg. better timings, higher frequency), and allows easier FSB overclocking. You could consider getting some nice PC3200 RAM for a touch more since it is pretty much the standard for most of the newer AthlonXP and Athlon64 chips so gives you a bit of room for upgrade in the future instead of buying more RAM, whereas PC2700 is useful only with processors of FSB 333MHz, and not FSB 400MHz should you wish to upgrade. Your choice though, either is nice.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Going by processor speed and video card speed, my brothers computer is faster than mine, except I have 1Gig of PC2700 and a 8MB Cache Hard drive he has 512M of PC3200 Dual Channel and a 2 MB Cache hard drive. I still out perform him.