What's new

CPU cooling solution?

linemu

I've got a AMD Athlon xp 1900+ in a computer that I built, and it's been overheating for quite some time now. It hasn't been over-clocked or anything either. The problem, I believe, is that I used the AMD house brand CPU fan that came with the processor. Can anyone recommend a good CPU cooler and where to get it?

The CPU overheats mainly when running emulators, namely VisualBoyAdvance. :(

Alchy

Never, ever, EVER use the standard AMD fansink. Grab a Zalman flower, silent and decent cooling.

OP
linemu

linemu

Alchy said:
Never, ever, EVER use the standard AMD fansink. Grab a Zalman flower, silent and decent cooling.

Yep... I guess I just had to learn the hard way :(

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well yes, some of them are noisy but they have more RPM's which make them cool better. A quiet PC is usually a hot PC. Others in the thermaltake line have speed controls so you can adjust it perfectly to balance noise versus cooling power.

Alchy

linemu said:
I don't really care about how noisy a fan is.
You probably will... most people do, after a while. For their first PC they go fan-crazy, sticking cooling everywhere because it's fun.
Then the noise... after a while it starts to grate on your nerves. Gradually the excess fans are removed. Happened to all my friends. When you switch on your PC and it sounds like a vacuum cleaner, there's only so long you can live with it.

I sleep in the same room as my PC, so if it's on overnight encoding/downloading, I want to have a reasonably low level of noise. Quiet PCs don't have to be hot PCs, btw - I had problems getting my last AMD system to run both quietly and reasonably cool, but the P4 I've got now is as near-silent as a air-based PC can be, and never gets too hot. I spent extra cash making it that way, though...

OP
linemu

linemu

Alchy said:
You probably will... most people do, after a while. For their first PC they go fan-crazy, sticking cooling everywhere because it's fun.
Then the noise... after a while it starts to grate on your nerves. Gradually the excess fans are removed. Happened to all my friends. When you switch on your PC and it sounds like a vacuum cleaner, there's only so long you can live with it.

I sleep in the same room as my PC, so if it's on overnight encoding/downloading, I want to have a reasonably low level of noise. Quiet PCs don't have to be hot PCs, btw - I had problems getting my last AMD system to run both quietly and reasonably cool, but the P4 I've got now is as near-silent as a air-based PC can be, and never gets too hot. I spent extra cash making it that way, though...

I know what a noisy computer is like.. and as I said I don't really care. It might be a problem if it's EXTREMELY beyond belief loud, but nothing else.

This is what I really want in a fan:
Price- Nothing that's too outrageous
Installation- Hopefully something on the simple side (if possible)
Cooling- This is the most important... I'd like my AMD xp 1900+ to be around 20 C.
Noise- Not too important

Eagle

aka Alshain
I have 6 chasis fans (they came with the case) And a thermaltake orb at max rpm. And a PSU with front and rear fans. Its kinda noisy but it doesnt bother me, Ive had it for over 2 years, havent removed a fan yet.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
i agree w/ya lex, lowest i was able to get this Athlon XP 2500+ (before i did the 200 FSB trick) on air cooling was 34C, and thats with a zalman flower cnps-7000aAlCU at full blast, 4 chassis fans, PSU intake over the CPU and PSU exhaust in the back, and my GFX fan, and its not that loud, sounds like a hair dryer, cept it ain't loud, and don't forget the Arctic Silver 5 when you finally decide to buy something, if you want something good get the CNPS-7000A-AlCu and set it at the lowest setting, it'll keep your 1900 at 40 C and its dead queit when you turn it down

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
thermaltake are CRAP. the only heatsink they have ever released that is half decent is the v12, and do you know why? because it isn't a thermaltake heatsink - its actually an thermalright sk7.

Anything by thermalright will kick ass. ive got the slk-800 and get some fantastic temps with that.

sheik124 said:
i agree w/ya lex, lowest i was able to get this Athlon XP 2500+ (before i did the 200 FSB trick) on air cooling was 34C, and thats with a zalman flower cnps-7000aAlCU at full blast, 4 chassis fans, PSU intake over the CPU and PSU exhaust in the back, and my GFX fan, and its not that loud, sounds like a hair dryer, cept it ain't loud, and don't forget the Arctic Silver 5 when you finally decide to buy something, if you want something good get the CNPS-7000A-AlCu and set it at the lowest setting, it'll keep your 1900 at 40 C and its dead queit when you turn it down

Sorry to piss on your cornflakes, but:

xp1700_stock_1.1v_no_fan.jpg

xp1700 @ 1.47ghz. NO CASE FANS. one single 2400rpm cpu fan. full load temp 4c above ambient.

right now im doing 225mhz fsb x 9.5 (2137mhz.). ive got two case fans, one running on 5v, the other is controlled by the motherboard running at 5%. My cpu fan is running at 7v and spins so slowly that my motherboard can't pick up the rpm. full load is 49c. its so damn quiet its unreal:)

THERMALRIGHT. all the way!

OP
linemu

linemu

Lex said:
To achieve 20 C you will need some very decent (water)cooling, a more normal temp is ~40 C.
40 C will be fine then... anything is better than 70 C! :p

Lex

james.miller said:
Sorry to piss on your cornflakes
:p ~ 20 C is room temperature here, it is impossible to get room temperature with just air cooling. that's what i tried to say ;).

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
Lex said:
:p ~ 20 C is room temperature here, it is impossible to get room temperature with just air cooling. that's what i tried to say ;).

no, you agreed with lex about his comment on needing water cooling to get down to 20c.

Lex said:
To achieve 20 C you will need some very decent (water)cooling, a more normal temp is ~40 C.
sheik124 said:
i agree w/ya lex.......and its not that loud, sounds like a hair dryer, cept it ain't loud....,

What i was saying is that it is entirely possible to get down to those temps, and with quiet air cooling for that matter. Remember that temp of 26c in my pic was FULL-LOAD - it was idling at 22c.... near as dammit to that magic 20c of yours lol.

Not that it really matters lol. anyway, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Another way to drop your temps is to lower the cpu voltage (if you can). Stock vcore for my cpu is 1.5v, but you may have noticed in my pic that my vcore was 1.15v lol that was totally stable aswell.

Last edited: