What's new

controller recommendations

regnad

Can anyone recommend a good controller for Project64?

I see on other message boards people recommending the Logitech Rumblepad 2, but it seems this doesn't have enough buttons -- on the right side you need well-placed A and B as well as the four C buttons (so basically six buttons on the right side), and I'm not interested in using the tiny buttons intended for start and select as the A and B.

The reality is the original Nintendo 64 controller has a lot of buttons.

Anyone using a controller they are happy with?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
The Logitech Rumblepad 2 has "enough buttons". You could very well map all the C-Buttons to the right analog stick or if you are unhappy with that, to buttons 1-4 and move A and B to the shoulder buttons.

If that controller is not an option for you, the only controller that I can think of that has enough buttons is the Nintendo 64 controller. Use than with a good USB adapter and you'll have your perfect pad.

OP
R

regnad

But is there a way to use the original controller other than with the Adaptoid that is no longer being produced and costs a pretty penny on Ebay?

Obviously that's the best way to go, but I haven't been able to get ahold of an Adaptoid.

Or any other USB controller recommendations?

smcd

According to the ztnet store they are taking pre-orders for adaptoids @ $36 apiece.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
The Xbox 360 controller is really nice, but as the logitech, you must map the C buttons to the right analogue. I'd still check it out - The Wireless controller for Windows is nice. The only issue is that Rumble features are inaccessible from DirectInput (at least with the default drivers, it's hard to find Xbox 360 WIRELESS drivers with rumble, but they're around) so you'd need to look for that one Xinput plugin.

junoxp

a good alternative to the expensive 360 controller is the original xbox.
with the usb mod you can use it nicely :)

OP
R

regnad

In fact they are not taking pre-orders for Adaptoids. There was a very very very very short window of opportunity, and I missed it.

Saphyn

In fact they are not taking pre-orders for Adaptoids. There was a very very very very short window of opportunity, and I missed it.
eBay has n64 to usb adapters, and they're rather cheap.

I ordered a ps2 to pc adapter for online games; haven't had a single issue with it.

OP
R

regnad

Those things being sold on Ebay (for example this one pictured here) look an awful lot like the "alternative" being sold at ZTNet in lieu of the non-available Adaptoid.

ZTNet describes the product:
This controller also supports only a select number of N64 controllers. If you are looking for more features and wider controller support, we recommend the Adaptoid.
And of course that Adaptoid is out of production and unavailable.

Sounds like it's in fact not the way to go. Anyone had success with this?

Any alternatives that successfully allow you to use the original controller?

Or, better, any decent controllers with six buttons on the right? Considering how many people use Project64, I'm astounded nobody appears to have produced something passable.

Saphyn

I told you before that I'm using one I purchased from eBay (for PSX).

I'm also using a cheap converter I picked up at WalMart that has GameCube controller adaptability. You can probably find its equivalent anywhere.

Personally, I've had no trouble using the GameCube controller with N64 games. It actually feels rather native, being that the GC controller is only an updated N64.

The only thing I've changed is having the C-buttons assigned to the digital pad.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
The cool thing is, MANY controllers feel native with the N64 provided you set em up. Xbox 360 controllers, basically map things to where they belong and map C buttons to the second analog. Z goes on the left trigger and L and R go onto the buttons (not triggers). Select is freed up and you also have the Y and X buttons free. It all works out nicely.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
I'm using the Playstation 2 Katana (wireless) with a Radio Shack USB to PS2 adapter that I got for ten bucks. Works a treat. I use the N-Rage plugin and have mapped (with macros) my right-analog stick as the c-buttons, as well as Triangle and Circle as C-Up and C-Down, with L1 and R1 being C-Left and C-Right. I did it this way, because some of the songs in OoT/MM weren't so easy to pull off with an analog stick, and I took a cue from the GCN controllers (notice they have X/Y/Z as alternate C-Buttons in Collectors/Master Quest?) for my setup.

D.Farougia

The best I've ever found is the Logitech rumble pad 1, because there is enough buttons at them right place.
logitec_cordless_rumblepad.gif

This is the cordless version, I own the cord version.