What's new

configures per game

Truner

Is there such thing as different configuration for each game?
I'm kinda having problems. I have a few games I want to play, I'll list them:
Super Mario 64 (EU)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (EU)
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (EU)
Donkey Kong 64 (EU)
Yoshi's Story (EU)
Mega Man 64 (USA)
Castlevania (USA)
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (USA)
Why the strange choice of regions? I own these games as listed and I only want to play them on my PC. But graphics says a big NO to me.
I'm using Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6
The two Castlevania games works perfectly as well as the two Zelda games (so far).
Mario 64 has problems with the shadows sometimes.
Donkey Kong 64 with some of the lightnings and sometimes, I can see Donkey Kong's "arm" touching the end of the screen from the middle (this one is kinda hard to explain, it's a brown line). Also, the windows itself flashes every time I press a button. This happens only with THIS game.
Yoshi's Story has half of the screen flickering, another plugin not showing backgrounds or other stuff and another to work.
Mega Man 64 work like charm expect once I get out of the base, every single texture has a square around it. Is it's like the textures aren't touching each other.
Is there an option to have different plugins and setting start with each game? It's frustrating to mess with the setups every time I want to play a different game. Or is there such thing as the perfect plugin/options?
Sorry for the long post, but I've been messing around with the emulator for a day now and all I want is to play the games. I have a Samsung whatever Notebook. Now I have to say, the Majora's Mask runs at full speed. Donkey Kong too, so there's no problem with the performance. It's just the graphical messups.
Thank you for the answer in advance.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
IIRC, the problems with DK64 and Yoshi's Story when using the default graphics plugin are well known. You need to use another, better plugin like Glide64 if you want Yoshi's Story to work properly. Can't say if that helps DK64, since that game has a host of problems.

Having said all that, you haven't said anything about what kind of graphics hardware you have. Judging by the descriptions you've given, it seems that your graphics card might fall under the minimum requirements for Jabo's Direct3D8.

Anyway, why are you using the PAL version of some games? Do you really want slower games, or is there some other reason? Also, some PAL games are more poorly emulated that their NTSC counterparts, but I don't remember any specifics.

OP
T

Truner

I guess it would be better to show what laptop I have, as the box itself says nothing about the video card...
http://www.sybaritic.co.za/store/product_info.php?products_id=51734
I know I can make Yoshi's Story perfectly with another plugin, but it's kinda annoying to change the settings and the plugin every time, so I was thinking about something like different settings/plugins loading with each game.
I use the PAL versions, becuz those are the ones I own IRL. I just bought a few NTSC games from a shop a few days ago. So I want to have the same deal on the computer too.
I also tried multiple settings and the plugins I have with Mega Man 64, but nothing helps. Should I take pictures of the problems?
Another question: if I make multiple Project64 folders with the emulator, and make settings in each program, will they remember those or will they change themself after running one of the emulators?

Agozer

Just as I suspected, you have an integrated Intel graphics chip (The GMA 4500). Most Intel's integrated offerings can't cope with Jabo's Direct3D8 nor any other "advanced" graphics plugin. The newer GMA chips are supposedly far better that Intel's prior models, but considering that you get so many weird graphics issues, I'm skeptical.

Your only option is pretty much to use Jabo's Direct3D6 plugin, as that'll work with Intel chips and thus fix many graphics issues. Be aware though that the D3D6 plugin has its own host of issues.

No, you can't make different configurations for individual games. This is because IIRC, Project64 stores its plugin settings etc. in the registry.

OP
T

Truner

I see, thank you. I also have another computer, with a Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT, but that one is kinda... busy right now. And I also want to upgrade it in the near future to run Wii games at 1080p resolution, with full speed. But that one plays everything perfectly. Yoshi's Story still has the glitches. I guess that one has something to do with the plugin itself, right?

Agozer

Personally, I don't think there is an emulator that's fast enough to run Wii games at 1080p with steady speed, but that's just me. Of course, performance varies from game to game.

btw, if you haven't downloaded the latest RDB file for Project64, do so. Updating it updates individual ROM settings which reduces glitches as well. If Yoshi's Story isn't any better after this, then yes, blame the graphics plugin. You can find the RDB thread somewhere around here.

OP
T

Truner

I downloaded the Glide64. Pictures showed Mega Man 64 without the square stuff, but on my computer, it's really slow and still has the bug. I guess I only have serious problems with this one game. Yoshi's Story works like charm, that weird long brown line glitch in Donkey Kong 64 is still present, but nothing else. I guess Mega Man 64 hates me (well, I do own it for the PSP too, I just wanted to replay this version).