What's new

computer crashes when race stars in Mario Kart 64

stephensface

The emulation starts fine and works great on the menus. When I try to start a race, however, my computer goes weird. I turn the computer off and when it restarts it says it has recovered from a fatal error. This is the only game I have tried in 1964. Thanks for any help.

Mobile Intel Pentium III CPU - M 1133MHz 725MHz,248 MB of RAM
Intel 82830M Graphics Controller-O
Intel 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller
(I just copied from system information. I unfortunately don't know anything about my hardware.)

Gladiac0190

stephensface said:
The emulation starts fine and works great on the menus. When I try to start a race, however, my computer goes weird. I turn the computer off and when it restarts it says it has recovered from a fatal error. This is the only game I have tried in 1964. Thanks for any help.

Mobile Intel Pentium III CPU - M 1133MHz 725MHz,248 MB of RAM
Intel 82830M Graphics Controller-O
Intel 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller
(I just copied from system information. I unfortunately don't know anything about my hardware.)
hmmm, windows 98/me?

schibo

Emulator Developer
This sounds like it's your video card and/or video drivers since your system is able to draw texture rectangles without crashing, but when you get into the 3D scene in the game it crashes.

OP
S

stephensface

But I know that they work because I am able to play Mario Kart on Project64. (I would just keep playing it there but now I'm having difficulties on that as well)

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
That just goes to show the PJ64 is superior to 1964. 1964 has many, many bugs that need to be fixed before I can legitimately enjoy it. Sure, 1964 runs games smoother but it likes to crash for some stupid reason.

BBS

Do you have the latest drivers for sound and gfx? Which DirectX do you installed?

minkster

dragon_rider said:
That just goes to show the PJ64 is superior to 1964. 1964 has many, many bugs that need to be fixed before I can legitimately enjoy it. Sure, 1964 runs games smoother but it likes to crash for some stupid reason.

Um...that means nothing at all. It could be that he is using different graphics plugins such as Rices old gfx plugin which was buggy before his newer ones. And plus I've always been a 1964 fan because I find it more user friendly. It really doesn't mean that one is more superior than the other. It's not like its a competition to prove which emulator is best :p

OP
S

stephensface

Hmm... I don't know about drivers. I know I have the latest DirectX because I just downloaded it... I'll check out downloading drivers. I am using the default plugin on the latest version of 1964. I tried to get a new one but couldn't figure out how to do it.

Sweet! The new video plugin worked. Then the game itself once it started working was kinda messed up though. I fixed some things by messing around with plugins and settings, but there are a couple minor imperfections I was wondering if I could get help with...

1) When I get "ghost," where you go semi-transparent and can go through things, I completely disappear instead of going semi-transparent.
2) On the screen that shows points earned after a race where the background is supposed to be solid black it blinks tan, white, and green at me.

They are not a big deal, but just kinda annoying. I'm using Rice's Video Plugin 6.1.0. Are there settings that will fix this?

Last edited: