What's new

Colour on Wii/NDS box

Rapidgorgon

Hello guys,

Lately I have been confronted with a small question rising from the big sea of Nintendo-handheld/console games. There appears to be a coloured triangle on each box of a Nintendo DS or Wii game. After thinking about it for a while (about a minute or so :p ) I figured that I couldn't find any reasonable explanation for the colour code.
e.g.: Wii Sports & Zelda both have a blue triangle, but they aren't quite the same genre.

That's why I'm asking it out here, where people are bound to have lots of Nintendo games and can help me in my quest for the answer on the mysterious colours.

- Rapid

OP
Rapidgorgon

Rapidgorgon

To make sure everybody understands what I mean, I'll attach an image.
Notice the coloured corners on the right.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
US titles don't seem to have that. However, maybe blue indicates that it is a 1st party title?

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
My games all have green triangles in the corner. They're also on my gamecube game cases, and DS cases, all green, probably means nothing, just a design feature.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Rapidgorgon's twilight princess triangle colour is blue, though, mine is green. If it was a rating thing you'd think Twilight Princess would be a different colour because it is 12+ :p i.e. Not suitable for all. Does it really matter? ;)

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
If you unite all colors, Triforce appears in Ocarina of Time.
I THINK HE'S ON TO SOMETHING, GUYS! :D

My guess is that it has something to do with the region of the game (?), or perhaps the store it was shipped (though that seems highly unlikely).

US cases do not have a triangle, anyway. This is true for DS games and Gamecube games, as well.

Guru64

I decided to try and find a pattern, but there always seem to be a few exceptions.

-Green: All Sega games are green
-Purple: All online games
-Red: All second party games
-Blue: All first party games; exceptions: Sonic Adventure 2: Battle should be green (made by Sega, third party), Star Fox Adventures should be red (made by Rareware, second party), all pokémon games should be red too (made by Game Freak, second party)

migo

I was wondering the exact same thing and from the replies here I would assume is some sort of region code inside Europe.

Let me show you mine: Wii Sports and Legend of Zelda were bought in Portugal. COD3 and Rayman were bough through cdwow.com

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Maybe this?

digg - Wii Sports box art revealed?

Jonathanex

It's to do with where they are shipping that copy in Europe. Generally to do with the text on the box.
Dark Green: 5 languages
Light Green: English
Purple: English, Spanish, Italian
Brown: Italian, Portugese, Spanish (I think)
Yellow: English, French, Portugese

Those are only some of the colours though.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Makes sense, but every single game I have all have green triangles and some of them are multi-language. My Twilight Princess has green and Migo's has yellow. Maybe they don't bother doing anything but green triangles for the UK, doesn't matter anyways :p

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Well, my PAL GC copy has a green traingle, go figure. The codes only apply to PAL games as I've seen. Not seen any on DS, but for GC.

OP
Rapidgorgon

Rapidgorgon

Actually I first started thinking of this colour code when I was in the store, checking out DS games. So I'm pretty sure they're there. I'll ask a friend of mine to take a picture tomorrow (I don't have a DS).

On the language thingy: My blue boxes (Zelda & Wii Sports) both have Dutch text on them, the yellow one (Call of Duty) only has English text (not the French and Portuguese too as stated before). "Meaning" it should be light green, but it isn't.

Edit: I'll also ask my friend to check out his GC boxes.

Last edited:
OP
Rapidgorgon

Rapidgorgon

Here's something my friend has some fun with finding out. Apparently he has no better things to do... :D

I attached a first file, it's Dutch and includes some comments of him. I'll make a more universal file tonight.

Edit: The file you've all been waiting for: Coloured

Thx to my good friend and "colleague" Johan De Praeter for being bored and writing down all his DS codes and colours. All say: "Thank you, Johan!" :p

Last edited:

Rehbock

Hm maybe it depens on the Region its allowed to be sold ?
All my Games are dark Blue (Ger Pal)
except of Resident Evil 2 which is Violet.
I would say Region like Dark Blue is Germany , Austria and
Switzerland