What's new

Cisco Settles with FSF (suit) over GPL software

Cyberman

This was big but a lot of you likely didn't know about it

There have been a number of com pliancy issues with companies
such as Skype, Verizon as well, Cisco's linksys not being the only one (see Voting machine company's even).

The issue was raised much earlier for the problem by the FSF, this is the FIRST time they had to actually go the legal route for compliance to the GPL.

What does this mean? Remember the name it's free with conditions.

This is been a 'festering' problem for a while, hopefully businesses will understand that 'cheap' isn't 'cheap' which was the problem Verizon and Cisco/Linksys got into trouble for. The compliancy issue isn't about fixing the blame it's about fixing the problem, the FSF would have not had to sue to begin with if someone FIXED the problem (obviously after 6 years of waiting patiently that didn't happen).

It's easy to point fingers "they is evil for ..." however we all should look at how we use software someone else wrote and what the License means. For example Windows... you should read the EULA CAREFULLY (seriously I doubt many have), it's rather one sided and... trust me it could be pretty messy if you don't pay attention to such things. The EULA for each version of Win NT is different (and getting more one sided each time).

I hope people enjoy some interesting though about where what they use comes from and what the price is for using it is.

Cyb