What's new

choppy audio with all emulators

spiderdan

Well, I had originally posted this thread in the project 64 section of the forums, however, after trying 1964 and mupen 64, they all have the same problem, extremely choppy audio, so hopefully I'll get a better answer here. I have tried using mupen64's rsp with 1964 and using a different plugin to process alists as well. I have tried the following plugins on all these emulators azimers audio v0.20b, v0.30, v0.40 beta 2, azimers HLe audio v0.56 wip 1 & 2 and v0.55.1 Alpaha, azimers LLE audio v0.50.1 beta, jabos directsound 1.6, shibos audio plugin 1.2, tr64 audio-ucode1, zilmars audio plugin. Of these plugins, azimers v0.40 beta 2 made the best improvement. It made the sound decent but theres an awfull echo. I've tried different settings on all these that allow. On the ones with buffer size it seems better on the highest setting. I tried an audio fix version of project 64 to. In particular I am trying to play Perfect Dark, but other games have similarly bad audio. Here are my pc's specs.

Device Audio : 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller
(Trigem Computer Inc)(onboard)

Video Card : Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (also onboard)

Processor : Intel Celeron 2000MHz

All help is greatly appreciated!

OP
S

spiderdan

Not trying to break the rules, although I apologize if I did. I posted agian here because, as I said, After trying more emulators I found they all had the same problem, so I thought the thread might belong here instead. I beleive I have already tried the rsp plugin you described in the other post with 1964 but I will give it another shot with project 64 and post with results in the morning. thanks.
Isn't it against the rules to make the same topic in two boards? :S Oh well, not my business.

Read my post here:
http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=43818

OP
S

spiderdan

X-Fi6, I tried the rsp plugin you suggested in the other thread with project 64. Unfortunitely, it didnt solve the problem. Thank you for the advice. I do appreciate it. I also tried logging the output of the default jabo plugin and when I listened to the .wav file it created it was not choppy whatsoever. I then tried logging the output for azimer's audio v0.40 beta 2 and it did not have the strange echo. Can anyone shed some light on why this is a problem when the emulator is running, but the log is flawless?

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
What is your audio hardware? Some audio cards don't like it when you do certain things. For example, SoundMax wants the output to be floating point or it will get pretty choppy. It would make sense, in this case, for the recorded audio to be right and the output on the emulator to be wrong.

edit: Stupid me, you did say your audio hardware! I have no further suggestions right now, except it may be something to fix in the audio plugin's themselves.

Flash

Technomage
1) Get any hardware sound card.
2) If there's AGP port on motherboard - get new video card, even GF2MX400 will be much faster than integrated crap with shared memory.
If there's no AGP ports, then situation is much worse - it easier to find a penguin in Egypt than GF4 Ti4200 PCI, Voodoo 4 PCI or any other video card suitable for N64 emulation. In this case it's better to get new motherboard.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Hmm... The audio chip is based on AC97 which doesn't really justify the choppiness. It's a sound driver issue most likely. Check if there are any new sound drivers for your motherboard.

You could also try this:
- Go to Start->Run from the Windows Start menu.
- Type "dxdiag" (without the "") and press the ok button to open the DirectX diagnostic Tool.
- From there select the sound tab, put the sound acceleration level to basic acceleration and press ok.
- Try various audio plugins to see if there is any change.

That can create compatibility issues so be sure to put the sound acceleration level back to full when you're done.

OP
S

spiderdan

Unfortunitely, my motherboard has no agp or pci-e slots, although I don't think my video card is the problem since the video seems to be fine. If I can't get this onboard sound working, then I'll try a hardware soundcard, although I'd like to avoid this if there's anyway to get my current sound working. When I first had this problem I tried updating my drivers. Unfortunitely, my motherboard manufacturer no longer makes motherboards and provides no support whatsoever. From what I can find, I beleive my onboard sound card is by Realtek, so I downloaded the latest realtek software. The realtek codecs work fine but provide now improvement over the default windows codecs when it comes to n64 emulation. I tried the directx diagnostic as well. Unfortunitely, it provided no noticeable difference. Thanks for the thoughts guys!

X-Fi6

It could even be as simple as the emulator not having enough memory / CPU utilization to be able to produce the sound to your speakers very well.

It could be a lot of stuff actually...