What's new

Cheap yet high capacity portable audio player I found...

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I went to wal-mart, and saw a Creative Jukebox 2LX, 20 Gig, for $158.32. Sounds like a damn good deal. Looked for some reviews on it before I bought it, and couldn't find any. Has anybody dealt with creative portable audio players before? How do they compare with others? Do they generally require proprietary drivers (I hate drivers, because then you have to install them on every goddamn PC you connect it to)

A good thing I already noticed about this player, is that it has a removable (which means replaceable) battery that lasts 16 hours at a time.

Last edited:

Gorxon

Administrator
I have the original jukebox, which is about the same. I guess this one is a bit speedier though, as mine is very slow to browse while listening to MP3s. Size however its the same, and I am starting to get tired of the huge size. It really depends on what you are gonna use it for though, and on trips and to use in car stereo etc, its a very nice deal for that price. Of course an iPod would be preferred imo, but thats like 3 times the price. Now did this help at all? Doubt it... :p

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Well, just found the manual on creatives website for the jukebox 2, and noticed that you aren't allowed to use it for jogging (major killer,) and a driver IS required.

Moving along...

Gorxon

Administrator
AlphaWolf said:
Well, just found the manual on creatives website for the jukebox 2, and noticed that you aren't allowed to use it for jogging (major killer,) and a driver IS required.

Moving along...

Believe me, size and weight taken into consideration, you wouldn't want to jog with it anyways. You can jog with it, it's just that when the harddrive is spinning up it can't take much bumps before the head gets screwed. It only reads on the hd every 4 mins though. I have heard of many people jogging with it (on newsgroups), and only a very very few of them broke their jokeboxes.
It's also a little bit hassle to setup on a computer the first time (read, takes some time), so it's not good for quick copying of a friends computer at all.

iPod would solve all those problemss though, but then again it's this thing called money :icecream:

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Gorxon said:
Believe me, size and weight taken into consideration, you wouldn't want to jog with it anyways. You can jog with it, it's just that when the harddrive is spinning up it can't take much bumps before the head gets screwed. It only reads on the hd every 4 mins though. I have heard of many people jogging with it (on newsgroups), and only a very very few of them broke their jokeboxes.
It's also a little bit hassle to setup on a computer the first time (read, takes some time), so it's not good for quick copying of a friends computer at all.

iPod would solve all those problemss though, but then again it's this thing called money :icecream:

Size and weight hardly concern me with any player. I used to run 5 miles while carrying a 60 pound load on a daily basis :p The only issue to me is whether or not it works while I am running with it.

iPod isn't just expensive though; theres so much hype around it that it costs way more than its worth. iPod is completely out of the question. The Rio karma plays like every audio codec that I could ever want, doesn't need drivers (even supports ethernet!) has 20 gig storage capacity, 15 hour battery life, smaller and lighter than ipod, and can be found for as low as $260. Problem is thats a bit more than I want to spend.

Perhapse the rumored iPod jr. will be worth it...I'll wait and see, but I kinda doubt it.

Last edited: