What's new

ChankEx is 'retired'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes sad to say that ChankEx is retired.

Myself and phatc have decided to retire the project due to zenith leaving and a hard drive crash thats cause many arguments since.

We cant even change the webpage since the password was random gen'ed. :(

Neither of us have the desire to star over again.
We felt this was the only other place that this news would spread to the people that wanted to know.

You dont have to go home but you can't stay here!

Wanna say thanks to the people that were nice enough support us and I hope your this nice to all your guest. :)

Oh and jkkdark F?U!

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
:cry: it's always sad to see an emulator die even-tho i never used this 1 :(

i wish u all the best
and
thinks for your contribution

Dark Mits

Eternal Darkness
I see... That's too bad:( . You had breathed some life in this project and some hope in us. Well, we'll get over it eventually. Until next time:nuke:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
This wasn't an emulator, it was a hack that sat on top of an emulator - I'm not suprised by these turn of events nor do I really care since it wasn't a 'big' thing to begin with.

flowrent

So all data is lost?? You had some progress with the online play as i remember.I was so much looking forward to that :(

squeakypants

Too bad :( Demul doesn't seem to be doing much, and I haven't heard from NullDC is a long time. Who knows if we'll ever get a dreamcast emulator with frame-skipping...

diablo2121

teh diAbLo
NullDC is quiet, but not dead. This much I know. I've seen some gameplay videos too, but I'm unsure of how finished the emulator is since it was recorded with FRAPS (So it's FPS was altered), but other than that, the graphical portion looked flawless.

smcd

Too bad :( Demul doesn't seem to be doing much, and I haven't heard from NullDC is a long time. Who knows if we'll ever get a dreamcast emulator with frame-skipping...

Sometimes people seem to forget emulator coders are people too and often happen to have lives... and since most emulators are free, there is only the desire to do it "just because" instead of for monetary motivation.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Well, Chankast opened the doors for alot of inspiration in new projects and showed the community that full emulation of the Dreamcast was a realistic possibility. I had alot of good times with this emulator, so I give my thanks for giving me my first taste of DC emulation.:)
diablo2121 said:
NullDC is quiet, but not dead. This much I know. I've seen some gameplay videos too, but I'm unsure of how finished the emulator is since it was recorded with FRAPS (So it's FPS was altered), but other than that, the graphical portion looked flawless.
I've been testing builds since the beginning, with the latest versions giving me 2-3x normal speed in most games. Compatibility is extremely high and speed is certainly not an issue. For those interested, feel free to check some of my shots in NullDC here.;)

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
It would be better not to talk about speed. Speed depends on many factors (CPU speed, specific games, slow and fast parts of the dynarec, etc.).
Considering the current state of the nullDC dynarec an Intel Core 2 Duo or a fast dual core Athlon 64 would be enough for everything I suppose but a few games will have speed problems on slower CPUs (Athlon XP, Pentium 4. etc.).

squeakypants

I still don't get the entire "don't release until it's done" bit. It's not a product, and user interest won't increase any more with updates than it would if you release it later in the development cycle. I'm very glad to hear it's still alive, but I must be missing something. Also, how did you get into the beta? :)

And I know all about the programmers. They work for free (or next to it) and they can't work on it as much as we all want them to :p I've heard many times emulator coding is one of the most tedious types of projects you can be involved in. I just don't see why more aren't open source. What's there to steal?

smcd

I still don't get the entire "don't release until it's done" bit. It's not a product, and user interest won't increase any more with updates than it would if you release it later in the development cycle. I'm very glad to hear it's still alive, but I must be missing something. Also, how did you get into the beta? :)

And I know all about the programmers. They work for free (or next to it) and they can't work on it as much as we all want them to :p I've heard many times emulator coding is one of the most tedious types of projects you can be involved in. I just don't see why more aren't open source. What's there to steal?

A lot of emulators go through flametards saying "T3h <insert name here> is dead?!?!?!" and "When next version?!?!?!!!" nonstop starting with the first release and never ending... I don't blame the "release it when it's done" attitude. As far as the open source part, who knows? There are a variety of reasons each as different as the next.

squeakypants

Yes, everyone hates the noobs :p Still, I think they're too "annoyable". I mean, that's what we, the forumgoers, are here for: to shut the flametards up!

There was a software, PPJoy, that could be so much better if open source or continued development. The creator stopped because "people weren't greatful enough". No offense, but if you're coding a free software project for thanks, you're kinda messed up in the head. It's called self-motivation for a reason. That's why I like open-source projects much more, the entire community can help. If you can code and want a feature, a bugfix, or anything else, you can do more than beg or donate. People do this for themselves, and that makes the software develop much faster and without need for "thanks" (they're always nice, but you shouldn't get so pissy when you don't get a lot).

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
PsyMan said:
It would be better not to talk about speed. Speed depends on many factors (CPU speed, specific games, slow and fast parts of the dynarec, etc.).
Considering the current state of the nullDC dynarec an Intel Core 2 Duo or a fast dual core Athlon 64 would be enough for everything I suppose but a few games will have speed problems on slower CPUs (Athlon XP, Pentium 4. etc.).
Well, given the results I got on my old P4 (2.4 Ghz), with that old GeForce 6200, and getting near full speed, I'd be inclined to think that most PC's made within the last 3 years could probably get full speed with NullDC, but I do understand what you mean about speed comments.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Well... You are right of course, but as you already said I was not only talking about the CPU required to run the emulator at full speed. The thing I consider most is the speed difference between some games on the same machine.
Depending on how "heavy" a game is for the dynarec or the GPU plugin it has different CPU requirements. Sorta like Dead or Alive 2 or Soul Calibur on Chankast, or Goldeneye and Pefect Dark on N64 emulators.

Dark Mits

Eternal Darkness
I think the heaviest game for the DC is Shemue II. Even with my 3.2GHz, 1GB RAM and ATi 9550 w/256MB, I still get low framerates at around 10-15 with Chankast.

Status
Not open for further replies.