What's new

Chankast on Vista - Sound is not working right

topple69

Here's the deal - the chankast emu works great on my vista computer. Games run super smooth (CVS and Soul Calibur) - however the sound is not working right. It is def my computer and not the games b/c even the startup dc swirl sound is wrong. It makes sound but it's very garbled and just sounds terrible. I tried the same setup on a xp comupter and the sound was fine so i'm thinking it has something to do with vista. Anyone have this on vista and the sound works? Any suggestions on how i can fix this b/c everything else works and I'm so fustrated -

thanks!

OP
T

topple69

Can people who atleast run this on vista tell me that it works fine so I know it's my computer and not the OS? I'm just trying to find out what the issue is. My directx is #10, maybe that's the issue since i heard this uses direct sound??>>

OP
T

topple69

I know what the problem is

I read that vista has removed support for directsound which I was told powers the audio of this chankast emu. Therefore I need to know if there is a way to enable Vista to use the hardware accelerator for the directsound like what was being done in XP......

Dark Mits

Eternal Darkness
I thought Vista would come out in February...
Anyway, maybe you'll need to find some drivers (or DirectX 9c, or maybe 10) from Microsoft for Vista exclusively, because there is no way Vista will not support DirectSound. Maybe you should try searching the Microsoft Website

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
If vista has removed DirectSound support, then pigs will fly. DirectSound is an integral part of DirectX to my understanding and far too many games and programs rely on it.

Last edited:

Dark Mits

Eternal Darkness
Vista will not officially support Direct9c or earlier. Direct10 is (already) developed to take the place of Direct9c, but with a twist: Nothing that uses up to 9c will be officially supported in Vista, and Direct10 will not see a launch for XP based systems. However, since that would cause heavy uproars, an "emulation" software will be used for programs using Direct9c or older. Just like with 64bit processors running 32bit programs. They do not really run them, they emulate them. Like this emulator does. Our PC does not run Dreamcast games, it emulates them through Chankast.

This is the reason why some games will be Vista exclusive (Halo 2 comes in mind). And games thet are being developed for both platforms (XP and Vista) are coded in Direct9c and Direct10 respectively (Crysis comes in mind here)

All of the above sounds really complicated now that I read it.

OP
T

topple69

I appreciate the feedback but i am stilll left with the problem......is it possible to run this chankast on vista with good sound? Direct sound is def removed and now emulated which is not using the hd accelrator----is there anything i can d/l or do to get the sound working well on vista?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I appreciate the feedback but i am stilll left with the problem......is it possible to run this chankast on vista with good sound? Direct sound is def removed and now emulated which is not using the hd accelrator----is there anything i can d/l or do to get the sound working well on vista?

My guess is that you can't do anything about it

Dark Mits

Eternal Darkness
Maybe you will want to check the Vista section at Microsoft. Also try their Support topics. You may find some advice.

MaddSkillsZ

Damn. Our only hope is re-develop Chankast to be compatibile with Vista, and unfourtunately the chances of that happening are real slim. Chanakst is as dead as Tupac.

Borisz

Or try getting sound drivers that work properly in vista. For that your best choice is waiting, since vista drivers are pretty immature right now.

gtguy01

Any fix?

:(

I have this problem too. Garbled sound in vista. Doesn't anyone have any solutions? Sad that I finally got a computer with the speed for chankast, but now other problems.

Jayme16UK

I got an idea to solve this problem

1)turn your speakers off
2)If you got an english image go to the games option screen
3) enable subtitles or closed captions (both same thing but different names)

i know its not an actual fix to the problem but at least you still know what is being said,

gtguy01

Fix for Miretank

Miretank,

I had the same problem with NullDC in vista too. However, I went to the sound plugin config options and gradually increased the number (I forgot what it is called, buffer size or something) and the problem is gone.

G