What's new

Chankast linux via Cedega

russofris

Good evening,

I took some time this afternoon to try out Chankast under Gentoo. This was mostly due to boredom, but whatever.

Using Cedega 4.0, I was able to fire up Chankast .25alpha and boot the European BIOS. BIOS ran between 5-10 fps. I was unable to mount any DC CDs under linux, with the following error...

Code:
mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
/dev/cdrom: Input/output error
mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only
/dev/cdrom: Input/output error
mount: /dev/cdrom: can't read superblock

So no games yet. Back to my multiboot. Here's an 8x6 (I run 16x12, but resized to lower bandwidth consumption). Ping me if you have any questions. Keep the discussion civil, and don't bug the devs.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo

OP
R

russofris

Mounting a DC cd under linux can be done with the following

Code:
h2so4 ~ # mount -t iso9660 -o session=0 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only
h2so4 ~ # ls /mnt/cdrom
0gdtex.pvr    odemo.afs    ugmedmdl.afs  wisound.afs  yplpack.afs
1st_read.bin  sdemo.afs    uplmdl.afs    wmenu.afs    zadx0.afs
3sys.bin      snd_cmn.bin  vsdemo.afs    wplmot.afs   zadx1.afs
aicadrv.bin   udcsdm.afs   wgame.afs     xpltex.afs   zadx2.afs

Games are not playable, and the BIOS comes up to the audio-CD playing screen.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo

BountyJedi

actually that was the way it worked for me in the beggining on win xp although when i but in not only dc_bios but dc_flash too and some others it worked miraculsely wonder if that can be a thing or it's just the mounting thats wierd i dont know much about linux =p
although would like to experiment setting it up someday :p

OP
R

russofris

BountyJedi said:
actually that was the way it worked for me in the beggining on win xp although when i but in not only dc_bios but dc_flash too and some others it worked miraculsely wonder if that can be a thing or it's just the mounting thats wierd i dont know much about linux =p
although would like to experiment setting it up someday :p

The problem appears to be that Wine doesn't properly emulate the XP or 2KASPI CDRom drive access, even when you set up RAW access in the .config via "device=/dev/cdroms/cdrom0". Tis ashame, but I'm not too upset about it, seeing as my XP setup works, and my dreamcast with VGA converter works regardless of the OS that I am using.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo

Russ

Just wondering, how did you get the VMU emulation? I've checked Chankasts menu's over and over several times and I can't find anything that enables the LCD display to actually come on. Or is it meant to come on automatically??

Thanks

BountyJedi

thersa choice in 0.25 to use vmu with display if you use fullscreen it though it comes through and flickers in fullscreen =p the lcd window i mean

Last edited:

Russ

Feel for it? That doesn't really help dude...

Like I said, i've checked through the menu's but couldn't see anything about enabling the VMU display.

If someone could just give me direct instructions on how to enable it. I'm surprised the Chankast help file doesn't say anything about it either... unless it's really easy to find and i'm going blind :/

Some one please tell me!

Russ

Oh crap, nevermind, I just found it in the "controller" section!

It's all so clear to me now :/