What's new

Chankast Emulation Question

Diyakov

Hello, I have a question about emulation.

If I download chankast, can I put a Dreamcast game (Like PSO), into my CD-ROM drive, and play the game on my Computer?

Dark Mits

Eternal Darkness
Um, emulators are not THAT easy in their use. There are some prerequisites, like the BIOS and a flash binary file, but you are not to ask for them on these forums. There will also be a need for a game that the current version of the emulator can play, and also a fast computer. Add the fact that the DC uses both GD-ROMs and CD-ROMs and that the CD and DVD drivers of our computers do not read GD-ROMs, and you are left with finding/converting the game to a readable by your computer format.

OP
D

Diyakov

Okay I have it all working. When I insert PSO, it says "Please wait while disk is being checked" but than, that goes away. When I select "Play", it says "Please Insert Disk".

Why is it not recongnizing the game?

Help

Stezo2k

S-2K
Chankast and the other dc emus only run backups as original GD ROMs are not supported. Also make sure the game is selfbooting if its a backup

You can use daemon if you want to run the game off your hard drive

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
All dreamcast emulators can (in theory) run GD-ROMs. The problem is that the drive of your PC cannot read GD-ROMs entirely. As a result, no emulator can run GD-ROMs.

OP
D

Diyakov

Oohh Also.
I'm encountering an error, once I use the CDRom plugin: aspi.

It says: Cant Read TOC from g:drive (or d:drive)

Why is it saying that?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Oohh Also.
I'm encountering an error, once I use the CDRom plugin: aspi.

It says: Cant Read TOC from g:drive (or d:drive)

Why is it saying that?
Because you are using Windows XP and not have any ASPI drivers installed, most likely.

Windows 2000, XP and later do not have ASPI support. You need to install ASPI drivers separately.

OP
D

Diyakov

Hmm.
Well I ran into another problem.
***I havnt downloaded the aspi drivers***

So, I mounted the image onto drive e, and configured drive: e on chankast.
I have the bios and flash (NTSC/Orange Swirl) , but everytime I go to play the game, its like the emulator is restarting :S.

(Like I select play, and it goes back to dreamcast logo, and bios/clock editor screen)

Help please.

OP
D

Diyakov

The faq says to replace bios (I tried that)
Hmm, I thought I had to replace the bios, when that happened. I'll try replacing the flash. Thanls

OP
D

Diyakov

Alot of people say, I need the European Flash/bios with the blue swirl.
Is that correct? (Which one do I need to replace, since Im getting the "resetting/not loading game" error) (By Which one, I mean the flash or the bios, and in what region. (Region: NTSC or EUR)

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
If you ask me, the BIOS region shouldn't matter. Then again, my swirl is blue. If the emulator keeps resetting to the set date/time screen or asking you to set it twice, you need to replace Dc_flash.bin.

Dark Mits

Eternal Darkness
There is an option to underclock or overclock the SH4 processor of the Dreamcast. Underclocking it sometimes allows for faster framerates, while overclocking generally makes it go slower. This is not definite, it is dependent on the the processor dependancy of the game and your computer's processor, I think all it does is bypass the nop operations when underclocking and adds nop when overclocking. Oh, the controls for this are + and -. In the end, don't expect any major improvement when underclocking, and when a game already uses the SH4 processor to a high degree, underclocking makes the game go slower.