What's new

Chankast Alpha 0.25 & Win2000

tygra

does not work.

aspi plugin crashes with "can't read TOC on drive x"

seems to be latest versions doesn't want to play games on win2000, where it used to be.

Razoola

Dam mods, I have a different problem than you (the error is different) and yet he/she wants me to add to this thread...

So much for beta testers, the ASPI rewrite dosent work at all here. I select the ASPI CD interface, close and restart chankast than start emulation. It crashes the emu with a program error.

Im using the lastes Adaptec ASPI drivers btw (4172).

Raz

To mod. I dont have an attitude problem, you simply read my post with the wrong attitude in your head (you probably been modding to long and expect the worst from everyone).

Trotterwatch

Razoola, the problem you were having was pretty much the same. So keep the attitude down - ie 'So much for beta testers'. If that's not a stinking attitude, I don't know what is. You then continue it with this post....

The problem was a Win2000 issue, with the latest Chankast. Crash or not working, it's pretty much the same problem.

Last edited:

Razoola

PsyMan said:
Guys, read the FAQ and after that tell me if it works.

Well first Im gonna say this isnt being said with attitude to keep mod happy. That FAQ with regards to win2000 needs updating cause you should not be installing the 4.60 ASPI driver after the 4.71.2. You just have to read the page (in the link provided for 4.60 install if the FAQ) and read the caution. In basic terms it says 'Do not install on windows 2000'. Basically after installing 4.71.2 win2k should have the 4.60 aspi32 following files.

Raz

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
Razoola said:
Im using the lastes Adaptec ASPI drivers btw (4172).

it will not work with this driver (or any adaptec aspi driver)... you have to remove it, and use the windowsXP/2K/2K3 aspi if you want to use chankast... try it, you'll see

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Razoola said:
That FAQ with regards to win2000 needs updating cause you should not be installing the 4.60 ASPI driver after the 4.71.2. You just have to read the page (in the link provided for 4.60 install if the FAQ) and read the caution. In basic terms it says 'Do not install on windows 2000'. Basically after installing 4.71.2 win2k should have the 4.60 aspi32 following files.

Raz
You cannot correctly install ASPI v4.71.2 on Windows 2K/XP without installing v4.60 before that (the drivers won't work). The problem is that you cannot even try to install v4.60 if another version is not installed before that (even if the previous ASPI drivers were not installed correctly). So the only workaround to install ASPI drivers on WIN 2K/XP is to install v4.71.2 (the drivers won't work) and v4.60 after that (the drivers will work after that). After that you will be able to install v4.71.2 if you want (correctly this time).
Just try it and tell me if it works ;)

Last edited:
OP
T

tygra

yes, now it works, with updating the aspi and using the aspi plugin.
thanks.

Razoola

Now I'm confused.

I have installed the Adaptec again drivers as per PsyMan's instructions (with rebooting between each install) but this has not fixed anything for me, its still crashing the emu when I start emulation (and I have selected the ASPI CD interface). I thouhg this would happen as the ASPI layer was working fine for me before hand anyway and if there was a bug with the adatec installer Im sure they would have fixed it.

Now Nightmare says that you shouldent be using the apaptec ASPI driver at all which goes against the FAQ. I sopose I'll just have to remove the adaptec ASPI and it will revert back to the win200 layer.

Raz

Razoola

PsyMan said:
Tell us your system specs (everything).

ASUS A7n8X Deluxe mobo (nforce2)
XP3200+ barton
Radeon 9800 pro
Using onboard soundstorm for sound
512meg RAM pc4300 (dual channel)

Win2k SP4

nForce 4.24 motherboard drivers (including ATA controller v5.10.2600.415)
cats 4.6 (gfx driver)

All drivers are installed correctly with no problems in device manager.

ASPI installed and setup in ways already mentioned in the FAQ and in this thread. Have also used 'aspichk.exe' to ensure the ASPI layer is installed and running correctly.

Like I say the program crashes, I do not get the toc error (unless I have no APSI layer installed). Also If I use the xxx CD interface the emu no longer crashes but goes to the music player screen as it did in previous versions apart from the game 'Ikaruga Dolmexica' which is one of the few games that work with the original CD interface.

Raz

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Custom IDE drivers (the nForce ATA controller drivers in your case) create problems when used in conjuction with ASPI drivers. Uninstall the nForce ATA controller drivers (install the ones that come with Windows) and reinstall the ASPI drivers. This will fix the problem.

Last edited:

Razoola

PsyMan said:
Custom IDE drivers (the nForce ATA controller drivers in your case) create problems when used in conjuction with ATAPI drivers. Uninstall the nForce ATA controller drivers (install the ones that come with Windows) and reinstall the ATAPI drivers. This will fix the problem.

Yup that did the trick thanks.

I think the win2k section of the FAQ should be updated to include this info.

Basically one needs to go into device manager and then to the ATA/ATAPI controllers section. Then select the IDE controller and then the drivers tab and click update drivers. Then select choose driver from list and then check show all hardware. Finally install the 'Standard Dual channel PCI IDE controller' and reboot.

(I type this walkthrough incase anyone else needs do it in the mean time)

Thanks again for the help.

Raz

gorzerk

RAzooooooooolaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It s 2:47am , i have to go to work at 8:00am, but I stick to try Chankast that did not worked for me atoo.
Finally I read your trick, swap my "nvidia IDE driver" for a "standard" one => IT WORKS WORK IT ALL !!!

thanks Razoola for the Workaround !!!!
thanks Chankast team for the Great Master Piece they produce !!!
thanks raz for posting this tonight :)

fatalM4

i had Razoola's problem as well when i tried to run from a virtual drive mounted in Alcohol. the aspi driver upgrade/downgrade/upgrade didn't fix it, but then i mounted in daemon tools and it works perfectly. (the image in daemon tools may be slightly different, because the alcohol one was an NRG and the daemon tools is a CDI ripped from a cd i burned with that NRG.) anyway didn't have to remove my drivers (i need them cuz i use SATA :() but i dont know what software razoola/gorzerk were using for their virtual drive.