What's new

Celeron 2.4 GHZ good enough?

mnbvcxz

My current Celeron 1.8GHZ is not good enough to run The Sims 2, which has these requirements. The processor is the only one I don't meet, and I have an Intel video card.

Well, I've been looking at this Celeron 2.4GHZ Processor, and I was wondering: Is this one good enough? The price is within my range, but will it work? I don't want to spend the money if it isn't good enough.

Thanks!

Last edited:

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
It should do the trick just fine, and is massively overclockable. :) Regardless, even with the 1.8 Celeron, The Sims 2 should run just fine.

Note to Intel/Celeron bashers: don't post in this thread, no one cares.

OP
M

mnbvcxz

Thanks!

I guess I'll try it with my current one first, then if it doesn't work, buy the 2.4GHZ.

Knuckles

well, of course, by staying on a celeron you got on low end, even a 2.4GHz will feel like a P4 1.8Ghz, the Celeron are lower in Cache and FSB, and in fact, in overall speed.

Of course, if you are on a low budget, a Celeron 2.4 should do the trick , of course, a better video card would accelerate it but as I said, if you're low on money, the CPU will be the right choice.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Good idea. Official system requirements generally aren't completely accurate, as performance will vary across the board. I think it'll work just fine on your 1.8 Celly. :)

*sigh* Knuckles, he didn't ask if it had low cache/FSB, he asked if it would run The Sims 2 well. :yawn: ....

Knuckles

just like the requirement for Doom 3 :p

they say a 1.5GHz CPU and so , I got it running "not that bad" over a P3 666MHz / 128MB PC100 Sdram

Edit : I know, that's what I said in the 2nd part, 1st part was mainly a little useless "point of view" :p

OP
M

mnbvcxz

Knuckles said:
well, of course, by staying on a celeron you got on low end, even a 2.4GHz will feel like a P4 1.8Ghz, the Celeron are lower in Cache and FSB, and in fact, in overall speed.

Of course, if you are on a low budget, a Celeron 2.4 should do the trick , of course, a better video card would accelerate it but as I said, if you're low on money, the CPU will be the right choice.

Unfortunately, I have a Dimension 2350, so a new video card isn't an option.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Even if you don't have an AGP slot, an upgrade isn't out of the question. You could always get one of nVidia or ATi's PCI offerings (nVidia's most powerful PCI card is the FX 5600, ATi's is the 9200), anything recent from ATi or nVidia in PCI form will put that Intel "extreme" to shame. I'd say don't get the CPU, and get a decent PCI videocard.

Eagle

aka Alshain
EDIT: Oops, nevermind, I didnt read the whole post

BTW, My sister really wants this game as well.

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
cooliscool said:
Even if you don't have an AGP slot, an upgrade isn't out of the question. You could always get one of nVidia or ATi's PCI offerings (nVidia's most powerful PCI card is the FX 5600, ATi's is the 9200), anything recent from ATi or nVidia in PCI form will put that Intel "extreme" to shame. I'd say don't get the CPU, and get a decent PCI videocard.

I agree, AGP is the fastest option, but they do realize some computers dont come with the slot so they will probably continue to make PCI cards for a long time. At any rate, forget the processor for now and get the video card. As long as you can get a PCI card and you can disable the onboard in the bios then your all set and for a lot less than the cost of a new CPU.

OP
M

mnbvcxz

cooliscool said:

Is this one good? My computer doesn't have PCI Express. Does this one need that? And what would I have to do to use this instead of the Intel Integrated?

Last edited:

Clements

That's a PCI (not express, that'll be the X300 model) card and will boost your gaming performance considerably over Intel graphics. To use it instead of on-board, just go into your BIOS. This will probably be detailed in the manual of the card.

OP
M

mnbvcxz

Clements said:
That's a PCI (not express, that'll be the X300 model) card and will boost your gaming performance considerably over Intel graphics. To use it instead of on-board, just go into your BIOS. This will probably be detailed in the manual of the card.

Thanks! I'm getting the game tomorrow, and I'll be buying that card soon too, probably, since with it I'll only need an 800 MHz processor. Thanks again everyone for all the help!

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Our pleasure. :)

If you plan on buying online and live in the USA, I suggest buying the card from Newegg. Everything you see in my sig (cept my videocard, got it from CompUSA) I bought from Newegg.. best prices and ship times. :)

Last edited:
OP
M

mnbvcxz

cooliscool said:
Our pleasure. :)

If you plan on buying online and live in the USA, I suggest buying the card from Newegg. Everything you see in my sig (cept my videocard, got it from CompUSA) I bought from Newegg.. best prices and ship times. :)

Thanks for the tip! By the way, I saw
this card as well as the regular ATI Radeon 9200. What's the difference? The first one is much cheaper, and has higher reviews.

EDIT: I also found this card. Any difference there?

Last edited:

Clements

Okay, the non-SE card is more expensive since it has 128-Bit RAM on the card instead of the 64-Bit RAM.

This means that the SE cards have half the memory bandwidth of the more expensive card, which is (roughly) half the speed in game performance. If you can afford the extra, I'd go for the $89 one since it's the best option for your machine. It's worth the extra $30 or so.

OP
M

mnbvcxz

Clements said:
Okay, the non-SE card is more expensive since it has 128-Bit RAM on the card instead of the 64-Bit RAM.

This means that the SE cards have half the memory bandwidth of the more expensive card, which is (roughly) half the speed in game performance. If you can afford the extra, I'd go for the $89 one since it's the best option for your machine. It's worth the extra $30 or so.

OK, thanks! I guess I'll be getting the $89 one. The Sims 2 is WAY too slow with my Intel Integrated.