What's new

Can't get my old controller profiles to load

Chumly

Last time I used Project64 was 2007-2008, and I want to get back into it but none of my old controller profiles will load. Redoing them from scratch is out of the question as I've already spent several days trying that but haven't gotten them anywhere close to what I had before. As I said, I can't just use the old ones I made that worked fine because they just won't load (error message: "Couldn't load profile.")

I'm running a fresh install of 1.6. Additionally, when I go to Options > Settings I get some error messages before the settings window appears. The first reads: "This application has failed to start becasue MSVCR70.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." The second reads: "Failed to load plugin: E:\Program Files\Project64 1.6\Plugin\NRage_DInput8_V2_2.00.dll." Then the first error message repeats followed by the second one before the settings window appears. As I said, this was a fresh install of 1.6, and I've reinstalled it, but the same thing happens. I have also tried running my 1.6 install from 2007-2008 that is on my old hard drive (which is also where all my old controller profiles are stored) but the exact same thing happens.

I don't know if this is a plugin problem and can't understand what's going on.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
You need to install Microsoft Visual C Runtime packages for the plugin to function correctly.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
there is no VC runtime package for VCR70, that runtime was .Net
  • Visual C++ .NET 2002 (known also as Visual C++ 7.0), which included MFC 7.0, was released in 2002 with support for link time code generation and debugging runtime checks, .NET 1.0 and Visual C# and Managed C++. The new user interface used many of the hot keys and conventions of Visual Basic, which accounted for some of its unpopularity among C++ developers.
  • Visual C++ .NET 2003 (known also as Visual C++ 7.1), which included MFC 7.1, was released in 2003 along with.NET 1.1 and was a major upgrade to Visual C++ .NET 2002. It was considered a patch to Visual C++ .NET 2002. Accordingly, the English language upgrade version of Visual Studio .NET 2003 shipped for minimal cost to owners of the English language version of Visual Studio .NET 2002. This is the last version to support Windows 95 as a target.
I wish people would refrain from using that version to build the plugins....

Visual Studio 6 = VC6
Visual C++ .Net = 7.0 and 7.1
Visual Studio 2005 and SP1 = 8.0 and 8.1 (MSVC 2005 runtime)
Visual Studio 2008 and SP1 = 9.0 and 9.1 (MSVC 2008 runtime)
Visual Studio 2010 (Beta) = 10.0

You can get the 7.0 and 7.1 runtime by installing Dotnet 1.0 and Sp3 and dotnet 1.1 and sp1)... though those fail on Vista/win7 afaik.

Last edited:
OP
C

Chumly

You can get the 7.0 and 7.1 runtime by installing Dotnet 1.0 and Sp3 and dotnet 1.1 and sp1)... though those fail on Vista/win7 afaik.

Alright, I downloaded .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3 and .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1, and I'm using Windows XP Pro (32-bit version). The 1.1 SP 1 file ran successfully, but the 1.0 SP 3 file gave me this error message: "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch me update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."

OP
C

Chumly

To clarify: I still can't load any controller profiles.

Another odd thing is that the Devices tab doesn't look like I remember from when PJ64 used to work on my old hard drive. I remember it looking like it does on the NRage plugin manual:

http://www.randomwisdom.com/nrage_manual/devices.png

Whereas mine looks like this:

http://i33.tinypic.com/o0se39.jpg

Note the lack of "Deadpan" and "Buffered" options. Again, I've reinstalled an up-to-date version of PJ64 and the NRage plugin also seems correct, but I can't load any of my old controller profiles. Running the old installation of PJ64 on the old hard drive also isn't any different, even though I'm certain the Devices tab used to show the "Deadpan" and "Buffered" options.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Alright, I downloaded .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3 and .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1, and I'm using Windows XP Pro (32-bit version). The 1.1 SP 1 file ran successfully, but the 1.0 SP 3 file gave me this error message: "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch me update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."

service packs require the original unpatched version installed......

OP
C

Chumly

The above screenshot has to be from some much older version of N-Rage.

Agreed, but I don't know how that happened. I placed it into the Plugin folder (Program Files\Project64 1.6\Plugin) when I installed it. If it's possible to get it to the correct version then hopefully the old controller profiles should work. I'll include a screenshot of my Plugin folder, maybe it will help:

http://i33.tinypic.com/120mmpz.jpg

Just in case, here is the Plugin folder on the old hard drive:

http://i33.tinypic.com/2bcneq.png

service packs require the original unpatched version installed......

I don't have any experience with updating or installing .NET files, the closest I found on the MS support site were those two service packs but I'm looking right now and I believe I've found the correct file. I think I see what I did wrong here and will try this part again.

edit: To be clear, for .NET 1.1 this is what I would need?
Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package

Last edited: