What's new

can't burn cd's

mesman00

What's that...?
ok i am having a little bit of troulbe here with my new cd-burner. Even though windows detects it, and it reads CD's fine, i am unable to burn cd's. With Nero it just says that i have no image recorder, and when i try to auto-detect it it doesn't. with another program that i have used (NTI Cd Creator) it detects it as well, and shows it's read speed, but under the categories write speed, buffer underrun protection, and re-write speed it says NA. does anyone know what might be goin on here?

JX030389

Ah, thats happened to me before, it will read it as a CD rom drive but not as a CD-RW. What brand is it? and what OS do you have?

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
mesman00 said:
ok i am having a little bit of troulbe here with my new cd-burner. Even though windows detects it, and it reads CD's fine, i am unable to burn cd's. With Nero it just says that i have no image recorder, and when i try to auto-detect it it doesn't. with another program that i have used (NTI Cd Creator) it detects it as well, and shows it's read speed, but under the categories write speed, buffer underrun protection, and re-write speed it says NA. does anyone know what might be goin on here?

Download and run this.

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
AlphaWolf said:
Download and run this.

alright i download it, and installed it. now when i open up ASPI Installtion Verification this is what i get:
Component Version
ASPI32.SYS 4.71.2
WOWPOST.EXE 4.6 (1021)
WINASPI.DLL 4.6(1021)
WINASPI32.DLL 4.71.2

it also tells me that ASPI is properly installed and fully operational

before i installed this all of those said N/A. However, i am sitll having my original problem. My drive is SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-248B.

should i try reinstallying these program? may that help?

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Hmm...the ASPI driver should definitely do it in any situation...Perhapse try installing neros aspi drivers instead?

nullroute

Lost and loving it
The fundamental problem is that there was never a standard interface for CD burners under Micro$hit os's until XP. The result is that Nero authors (and competitors) needed to write their own. Because of this, Nero doesn't work with _all_ cdr(w)'s... neither do any of the other recording software packages. My suggestion is that you find out what software would normally have shipped with your brand of cdrw... and get your hands on a copy of it.

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
nullroute said:
The fundamental problem is that there was never a standard interface for CD burners under Micro$hit os's until XP. The result is that Nero authors (and competitors) needed to write their own. Because of this, Nero doesn't work with _all_ cdr(w)'s... neither do any of the other recording software packages. My suggestion is that you find out what software would normally have shipped with your brand of cdrw... and get your hands on a copy of it.

nero was shipped w/ it.

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
jollyrancher said:
Go to the Samsung web site and update with the latest firmware.

there is no firmware downloadable for my model number...any idea of where else i can get it?

jollyrancher

I just checked Google real quick and the firmware for your model is on several sites... I don't want to give you a link to some random site, but just search yourself.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
jollyrancher said:
I just checked Google real quick and the firmware for your model is on several sites... I don't want to give you a link to some random site, but just search yourself.

Why must you constantly go around making an ass of yourself? What the fuck broke in your head? I mean..damn..can't you ever say something sensible at least once on this forum?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
jollyrancher said:
Why don't you just put a random link?

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
jollyrancher said:

eh, using a google search i can't find it, so do you mind telling me where you found it, or what you searched with? my drive uses the R500 firmware

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
ok so i downloaded the new firmware...to find out that i already had the R503 installed. i reinstalled it anyways, and i'm still having no luck. anyone have any more tips? thanks in advance

*edit* i don't think this would in any way have any affect on my ability to be able to burn cd's, but the sound cable is not hooked up from my drive to my mobo. however, this shouldn't matter at all should it?

jollyrancher

A few more possibilities:

1. The Nero that came with the recorder needs to be updated to work with that recorder (unlikely).
2. There was a problem when you installed the CD-RW and W2k is not recognizing it properly. Go into the device manager, double-click on the drive and under properties it should say it's a CD-RW.

One more thing... you said Nero recognized it, but not as a CD-RW... what exactly does it say? Maybe it only sees your normal CD-ROM.

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
jollyrancher said:
A few more possibilities:

1. The Nero that came with the recorder needs to be updated to work with that recorder (unlikely).
2. There was a problem when you installed the CD-RW and W2k is not recognizing it properly. Go into the device manager, double-click on the drive and under properties it should say it's a CD-RW.

One more thing... you said Nero recognized it, but not as a CD-RW... what exactly does it say? Maybe it only sees your normal CD-ROM.

nero just shows that it can read CD's. It sees both CD drives. In the device manager it says device type as DVD/CD-Rom. Under manufacturer it says (Standard CD-Rom drives). WHen i click the properties tab it says nothing about being CD-RW. it just has some options about music playback. something isn't right here, obviously.