What's new

can type of video card can i install into a acompaq 1700 and 1750 laptop?

M

mainframe19

i have 2 of them that i got off of ebay for parts, to make a fast laptop!

and i know the 1750 have a ati video board in them, i want to find a 3dfx video board or a nvidia video board for it, cause i realy don't like the ati video board thats in it now.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
You can't get a mobile 3dfx chip. They simply don't exist.

And do you have any idea what model the ATi chip is?

OP
M

mainframe19

it's a ati rage lt pro 2xagp.is what power strip says it is.

awhile ago here i heard that some compaq 1750 had a 3dfx chip for the video in them.

jollyrancher

You're not going to be able to turn that 4-year old laptop into a fast computer. There's no way (unless you're some pro with soldering equipment and stuff) to upgrade the cpu (P2) and graphics in that computer. On some of the K6-2 laptops you can throw in a K6-2+ to make them slightly faster, but you can't just throw a P4 into a P2 laptop. Some of the new laptops are going to have a graphics standard that lets you replace the graphics chip when it gets outdated, but there's nothing you can do with older computers. The only real upgrade for that computer is to put more memory in it.

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
There is no point on wasting money on a potentially impossible upgrade (an ati M4 *MIGHT* work, but it's rolling the dice.) You would be better off saving your money for a new machine.

OP
M

mainframe19

i think iput about $200.00 us into it! now and i heard that some one in the hp message board put a 500hhz cpu into a 1750! my main idea is to to that.besides am not rich and have been buying alot of 1700 and 1750 parts!to make a good laptop!

i just need some infor about the gpu board and can other gfx boards be used in in the 1750 model?
if not than how whould i make this laptop go any faster??

OP
L

Lachp30

For staters, it would be a bloody stupid idea to upgrade any part in a computer such as a compauq:p

OP
M

mainframe19

lachp30 why do you say that? i find the compaq laptops are easy to upgrade and to find parts for.i think i saved about $300.00 usa or more by repairing it, than buying a new one, or used one.besides i can take the other ones and fix them and sell them for more $!

OP
L

Lachp30

mainframe19 said:
lachp30 why do you say that? i find the compaq laptops are easy to upgrade and to find parts for.i think i saved about $300.00 usa or more by repairing it, than buying a new one, or used one.besides i can take the other ones and fix them and sell them for more $!

All I meant by that is that computers company's such as DELL, Compaq, HP etc often have weird agp and PCI slots on the mainboard which make upgrading a hastle. My friend certianlly had problems upgrading his desktop compaq; he ended up burning the mainboard.