What's new

Can only load CDI Dreamcast-Images

shomi

Hello, I've got a problem with Demul. While Atomiswave and Naomi games run fine, I can't get most Dreamcast images to work. Only CDI files seem to work. Everytime I try using CHD or GDI files, Demul tells me I should "Please insert game disc". I've got TOSEC files, so these should be fine. If anyone has any idea how to solve this problem I would be greatful. I'm running demul 5.6 on Windows 7 x64.

Mugen80

Im new and not sure about TOSEC files, but, try playing with the "GD-ROM plugin" option under settings. Another member recommended this and I was able to select the game file that I wanted to play. This is not done from the Dreamcast GUI, this is done from the DEMUL GUI.

OP
S

shomi

Thanks for your reply. I'm using the proper plug-ins for the image files. gdrCHD for CHD files and gdrImage for GDI and CDI files. While I'm able to select the Images I would like to use, once I start the emulation I'm told that there is no game disc. The images seem to be recognized as audio discs, since I can start the audio player in Dreamcast emulation and it shows some (unplayable) tracks. The only images that seem to work are CDI files. Maybe this is connected to the fact that CDI files are self-booting. But I thought Demul would be able to run files like GDI or CHD. Am I wrong?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
CHDs are almost universally used with NAOMI, NAOMI2 and Atomiswave arcade emulation in Demul. As such, CHDs require a separate romset in order to boot properly. My memory fails me, so I donät remember exactly how Demul treats arcade romsets and CHDs, but they aren't loaded the same way as Dreamcast's disc-based games.

cable104

I checked all my settings and i can only think they are bad dumps The gdi should work fine with gdrImage plugin

OP
S

shomi

Strange. I think I'll be concentrating on GDI files, since CHD seem even more complicated. Actually I don't think CHD files (the ones for Dreamcast!) require additional romsets, since Dreamcast games are just this - a disc. So the CHD file should be enough. Additionally I read GDI files can be converted into CHD files and I think this converting process doesn't produce a romset.
Well, now for the GDI files. I downloaded several files from a TOSEC set. Since the goal of TOSEC is to preserve the best possible copies of original games, these sets shouldn't be bad dumps. (By the way I do own an original Dreamcast with a great collection of games - just to prevent any bad thoughts towards me downloading games ;-). I was just to lazy to dump them myself.) I have no clue what could be the problem. Is there any special way GDI files should be saved? I'll give an example how the files look on my harddrive. I got the files for Daytona USA in my demul folder ("\demul\games\Daytona USA v1.004 (2001)(Hasbro - Sega)(NTSC)(US)[!]\") and the files are named "Daytona USA v1.004 (2001)(Hasbro - Sega)(NTSC)(US)[!].gdi", "track01.bin", "track02.raw" and "track03.bin". All are in the same folder without subfolders. Is this correct? Any clues are welcome...

Last edited:

cable104

The only gdi file i currently have is star wars racer which works fine. I noticed you have audio tracks separate from the gdi file. I could be totally wrong but i think that caused me a problem before and it had to be all in one like gdi file i have. It was a long time ago i might be thinking about a ps1 game not sure but worth looking at

OP
S

shomi

Hm, since I didn't create the GDI files myself, I have no idea how to alter them into one single file. Actually the best solution seems to get the CHD files to work. They contain everything in a single file and they are compressed, which saves a lot of diskspace. But as I wrote I couldn't get them to run either.
I'll try to find out how to put the GDI, BIN and RAW files into one single file. Btw the GDI files are realy small, and the BIN and RAW files are quiet big. So I guess the GDI file only gives sort of an index about what the other files contain.

cable104

Please ignore what i said in my last post i was speaking utter shite! I looked at it again your right the gdi file is the same as yours separate gdi bin and raw files, sorry i was so sure now ive checked and i was right i was thinking about ps1 files sorry for the confusion hope you get to the bottom of this

OP
S

shomi

Thanks for looking anyway. I think I'll use NullDC (where the GDIs work fine) for now. If anybody else has any idea what might be the problem any help is welcome. If I find a solution I'll post it as well. Maybe someone could profit from that information.

OP
S

shomi

Well, that did the trick. While changing the region from "Auto" to "America" didn't do any good it worked when I selected a different bios. The selected bios was 1.004 and I never changed that. Since I chose 1.01d the games run fine, GDIs and CHDs alike. Thanks a lot for that hint. Problem solved \:D/