What's new

can i run proyect64 on my pc?

i have a 1,7 ghz celeron with 212ram and i think theres no video card , i tried playing mario 64 with proyect64 and it frezees alot , can anyone tell whats the problem or what could be wrong?

Clements

You really need a FX 5200/Radeon 9500 or up for the best experience and compatibility in Project64 with the various plugins. With old integrated setups, you are forced into using Glide64+eVoodoo.

Solar

Kebab?
if you have on board video then share 64mb for gfx and you might be ok
get a gfx card is the thing to do

Penguins

shaka-de-virgo said:
i have a 1,7 ghz celeron with 212ram and i think theres no video card , i tried playing mario 64 with proyect64 and it frezees alot , can anyone tell whats the problem or what could be wrong?

No video card???? Man, how did you even download pj64 then??? (w/o it u cant see nething) anyhow, change the video plugin, doing that might stop it. zelda64 did that to me until i did that. though i still got some problems w/ it.

diZZious

Seeing as you say your comp only has 212mb of ram, that means you have no true graphics card. Your computer actually has 256mb of ram; but since you have onboard graphics, your graphics are apparently using 44mb of your system ram.
Check if your motherboard has an AGP slot. (i'd say go with pci-express, but if you have a 1.7ghz celeron that means your cpu is socket 478, therefore you do not have a pci-express slot and cannot use pci-e cards.)
If you do have an agp slot, it is most likely compatible with 4x and 8x cards, and you should definitly buy a graphics card.
IMHO, the best place to get computer hardware is newegg.com - they have over a million customers a year, and their prices are usually 50-200% lower than places like bestbuy or compusa.
Assuming you can spend about $100 USD, you should get one of these cards.
If you want something a little cheaper, go with one of these.
If you really need something extremely cheap, you could go with one of these.
Personally, i wouldnt bother spending any less than 100 bucks on a graphics card, as the price/performance sweetspot in graphics cards is generally between $100 and $250.

If i were you however, i would just get (well I would build it myself...) a whole new computer. A 1.7ghz celeron with 256mb of memory is a really slow system by today's standards, in fact if you're running windows XP, 256mb of memory is really not usually enough. You might not even have to get a whole new system - if your motherboard supports faster processors, you could just upgrade your processor and stick another 256mb of memory into the thing. Upgrading to 512mb of RAM and a 2+ ghz pentium 4 would about triple the speed of your computer. (not a celeron. no offense, but celerons are known to be the least effecient CPU out there.)
You can get a 2.4ghz pentium 4 processor for $110. , and another 256mb of ram for $20. Add in about 100 bucks for a graphics card, and that brings your price up to $230 - wich is a pretty small price to pay for about a 300% increase in speed. Keep in mind the graphics card will probably only speed you up in games (you'll be able to completely max the graphics in project 64 on most games), but the processor and memory will give you a huge speed boost in everything else.
and trust me, you don't want to buy another celeron.
if you're unsure if your motherboard is compatible with AGP graphics cards, or anything else, find the make/model of your motherboard and post it here.